Egg laying problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cabsslg, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Cabsslg

Cabsslg New Egg

Apr 5, 2013
    My two hens have recently recovered from molting. They stopped about 2-3 weeks ago but have yet to restart laying . Is this normal? They're acting normal, not sick, and eating fine, feces fine. They were laying about an egg each per day before they started molting.

2. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Shorter days in the fall and winter trigger both molting and lack of egg laying. So this is completely normal and I would not expect them to start laying again until the days get longer. You can just let them have a break if you want, but if you don't want to wait that long, you can put lights in your coop on a timer to add some "daylight" (preferably adding it to the morning, rather than evening). 14 hours of light each day is the typical recommendation for best egg laying. So what you would do is set a timer to come on in the wee hours of the morning, and gradually change the start time to be earlier and earlier until they are getting 14 hours of "daylight."

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by