Egg laying question!

Crazyredhead

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
so I have 17 hens in this one coop right now. Don't worry it's very large. Anyways they are young just started laying here and there. Just over 4 months old. And the first to start laying was my Marans, anyways there are I think 2 hens who just drop their eggs when they are on there perch. I keep finding eggs on the ground right under the perch smashes from the fall. First I don't know who it is. They are lighter eggs. And if I could figure out who what can I do? Would just placing them in the box help/ solve this.
I have barred rocks, Delawares, Marans, RR&EE
Anyways. Sorry so long. I have never had this problem.
Thank you in advance

New layers?

My pullets just started laying the last couple weeks. I found 3-4 smashed under their roost the first week or so.

I think it was just them not really knowing what's going on yet. Now I have a few that are even getting up in the nest every day.

Ps. Do you have fake eggs in the nests?

Last edited:
Wow, I never even thought of that when I built the poop trays into my coop. I wonder how many broken eggs that idea saved me?

"virgin" layers will usually lay wherever they happen to be at the moment, it takes a bit before the "Gee, I really should place my prospective offspring in a more protected area" instinct kicks in and they start looking for more secure, secluded areas to deposit their booty. As Askme42 suggested fake eggs in the laying boxes helps get the idea started.

Can you make the bedding under the roosts deeper until these young ladies get the hang of the nest boxes? Got fake eggs in the boxes?
This is Exactly what I did. Piled the hay up thick under them. And of course haven't found one in that area since. Lol

i have that problem occasionally. Luckily the eggs aren't broken. I would say place ceramic or wood eggs, or a golf ball in the nesting box to encourage them to lay there. And as you said above, place extra bedding underneath them to break the egg's fall.

I am not sure if putting straw down will help. It's a little high. But we will see. I just wish I knew who it was.

just wish I knew who it was.
Time for a butt check! Works great for new layers.
Vent Appearance:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points, feel for the 2 bony points(pelvic bones F-F) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.
(Spacing is relative with chickens size and humans finger size.)
1020991-4bfd98f69b332a540b03831ac1f9b25f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom