Egg laying question

tmart82692

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2018
SW Missouri
Hi BYC I've got a trio of coturnix quail and they are roughly 4 months old. One of the hens is laying eggs daily the other has only laid 1 egg since ive had them. I feed them 18% layer pellets and supplement protein with dried meal worms. I was curious if the hen was egg bound so I checked her and didn't feel anything abnormal based off of the other that is laying because I'm new to this. She seems kind of sluggish in the pen but perks up when you try to handle her. Is there somthing I'm missing as far as diet? Or is it somthing else?

How long have you had the birds? (They can take a month to start laying after being moved)

Do you have 3 females or 2 females and one male?

I had been feeding mine 24% chick starter and had them for 4 weeks (8 weeks old). I swapped to 30% turkey starter and they started laying eggs 2 days later, possibly a coincindince but I don't think so.

I also have artificial light on them for 17 hours a day.

At 4 months old they should be spitting out eggs like no tomorrow. I do think your protein is the main issue...

Ive had them for a month and they are 2 hens 1 roo. The closest I can get for protein is 21% chick starter and 22% meatbird at the local stores. Should I use it instead?

Use the highest protein you can, with the knowledge you might not get 1 egg per day from each lady due to the still sub-optimal protein content. You could also look into adding fish meal to the feed if your local farm store has that. It is usually very high protein.

Use the highest protein you can, with the knowledge you might not get 1 egg per day from each lady due to the still sub-optimal protein content. You could also look into adding fish meal to the feed if your local farm store has that. It is usually very high protein.
Thanks I will check that out

We have Orshlins and a local owned feed store. The locally owned one really only deals in cows and horses. He has scratch grain and 16% egg layer but that's about it. We also have mfa but I have never used them.

22% is actually fine for laying/grown cot quail. Make sure you offer calcium (crushed oyster shell or egg shells) when you switch.

You may want to keep a close eye on the male. The male may be overmating the one female and that's why she isn't as active/happy.

Back
Top Bottom