egg laying question

okmcgrawfan

Hatching
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Hi I'm new here and have a question. This is our first time in raising chickens. They started laying eggs a couple weeks ago. My problem is they will not lay in the nesting boxes. We find eggs in the trees down from the house, in my deck boxes, in their food boxes ect. It is like going easter egg hunting everyday lol..Anyhow any idea of what we can do to get them to start laying in the boxes?? Thanks for any help. Tonya

Hi and welcome...

we have been doing alot of talking about this same subject so there are posts on here under i think... "behaviors and egg laying" what we have come up with is... put "fake" eggs in their nests. you can use anything from golf balls, real eggs (just make sure you mark them) or even the plastic easter eggs. It does WORK!!!

Good Luck!!!

Also, you might want to not let them out of the coop until after about 10 in the morning... that forces them to lay inside.

Tes

Last edited:
Also, any eggs you find where they're not supposed to be, stick them in the nesting boxes. Just don't leave them out there too long in this heat.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom