Egg laying question?

jbobperry

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
I have a hen that laid her first egg Thursday, since then she hasn’t laid another one. I read where they lay pretty regular during the season. Is it common to have them lay one then stop, is it to late in the season to expect many eggs? I’m new to quinoa fowl!

I have a hen that laid her first egg Thursday, since then she hasn’t laid another one. I read where they lay pretty regular during the season. Is it common to have them lay one then stop, is it to late in the season to expect many eggs? I’m new to quinoa fowl!
Ours are pretty regular layers, but some are not as regular as others. When they start laying, there can be a lot of variation. Congratulations on your first egg! I hope you enjoy your guinea flock.

What is common is for a guinea hen to drop her first eggs wherever she happens to be at the time the egg needs to come out.

Look around in other places for the first eggs. Once she realizes what is going on, she will make a nest or use a communal nest. They like to hide their nests.

Recently I was only finding one or two eggs a day from my 8 hens. I knew there had to be a hidden nest somewhere but did not spend enough time looking for it. When one of the hens didn't show up in the evening to get put in the coop, I went nest hunting for 1/2 hour before I found her on the nest. There were 28 eggs in the nest she was on.

What is common is for a guinea hen to drop her first eggs wherever she happens to be at the time the egg needs to come out.

Look around in other places for the first eggs. Once she realizes what is going on, she will make a nest or use a communal nest. They like to hide their nests.

Recently I was only finding one or two eggs a day from my 8 hens. I knew there had to be a hidden nest somewhere but did not spend enough time looking for it. When one of the hens didn't show up in the evening to get put in the coop, I went nest hunting for 1/2 hour before I found her on the nest. There were 28 eggs in the nest she was on.
On the side walk, in the garden, on the patio..one of mine was REALLY bad abt that, like a 3 yr that doesn't want to stop playing to go to the bathroom, where as I'd see Rosie's head shoot up suddenly then make a mad dash for the coop! :gig

On the side walk, in the garden, on the patio..one of mine was REALLY bad abt that, like a 3 yr that doesn't want to stop playing to go to the bathroom, where as I'd see Rosie's head shoot up suddenly then make a mad dash for the coop! :gig
When a particular turkey hen first started laying last year, she would drop her egg in about the same place every day but it was not in a nest or anything special, she just dropped it in the grass. One day I got to see her do it. She hardly even broke stride as she paused momentarily to drop the egg and kept on going.

Congratulations! You get to play Easter morning each day now😆

Mine favor laying in tall grass. But I do still occasionally find a random egg in the yard.
Just the other day I finally found where my girls were hiding their eggs. In a big patch of stinging nettle 😬
Male standing guard. If you have any males watch to see if they seem to hang out in a particular place seemingly alone. He might be on watch duty.
E96FC12A-92C4-413B-899E-358A28C86D7B.jpeg

The eggs
DF9A88FD-EA87-46CA-A9D9-1B0D3F8975BA.jpeg

Busted by the flock🤦‍♀️
2C2C4D39-9FF9-4044-B7E2-E43DA6C72885.jpeg

My pockets were so full!
FC68B593-0F00-4D45-8322-785B18C0ACDD.jpeg

Happy hunting!!!

When a particular turkey hen first started laying last year, she would drop her egg in about the same place every day but it was not in a nest or anything special, she just dropped it in the grass. One day I got to see her do it. She hardly even broke stride as she paused momentarily to drop the egg and kept on going.
I'll never be sure who was doing that-I thought it was one of the RPs since they were the ones standing there. But I was never able to truly sex them either bc they seemed to make different noises. Blu and someone else still say what sounds like "For-Re-al". We always swore Bella was saying "thank you", and I hear that from the brooder now. I know Rosie has a nest in there, then there are some on the other side. Mother Nature loves messing with me. But there was never a doubt abt Rosie;4 pm she'd hike up her britches and RUN for the coop. Once she was in, she barely stop. I'd peak in the window, see her drop an egg and run back out.
That was before she & Luce decided to venture and and build nests in the fields.
I suppose I should start pulling eggs out of there again. I must be not catching on to this, bc I candled a few the other day while cleaning and some looked not only fertilized but developing. But she's not sitting on them that often, let alone being broody, so I must be seeing things.

Congratulations! You get to play Easter morning each day now😆

Mine favor laying in tall grass. But I do still occasionally find a random egg in the yard.
Just the other day I finally found where my girls were hiding their eggs. In a big patch of stinging nettle 😬
Male standing guard. If you have any males watch to see if they seem to hang out in a particular place seemingly alone. He might be on watch duty. View attachment 2283643
The eggsView attachment 2283644
Busted by the flock🤦‍♀️View attachment 2283645
My pockets were so full! View attachment 2283646
Happy hunting!!!
Now I'm going to have to remenber what benefit stinging nettle is to poultry. I *THINK* it may have been whatever they need to prevent wry neck? I remember reading it the other day when someone's chick was born with it. In any event, your mama knows she needs it.🙂

Back
Top Bottom