Egg laying question

PeaFan

Songster
Mar 12, 2020
Hello - I know that it has been said that hens lay an egg every two to three days and wait till they have a clutch of six or more. Also, that the viability of the eggs goes down after ten days. Does that mean that even if a hen goes broody with six eggs that most likely a couple of them will not hatch? My hen laid two eggs two days apart then took a four day break and has laid two more two days apart (she broke one of them). The first egg is already ten days old. Should I leave the older eggs or take them away- wouldn’t that cause her to take longer to go broody, if she even does? I know this sounds like a grammar school math question. Just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks

Hello - I know that it has been said that hens lay an egg every two to three days and wait till they have a clutch of six or more. Also, that the viability of the eggs goes down after ten days. Does that mean that even if a hen goes broody with six eggs that most likely a couple of them will not hatch? My hen laid two eggs two days apart then took a four day break and has laid two more two days apart (she broke one of them). The first egg is already ten days old. Should I leave the older eggs or take them away- wouldn’t that cause her to take longer to go broody, if she even does? I know this sounds like a grammar school math question. Just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks
yes.
and ten days old is about as long as you can leave a egg before it get incubated.
you can leave the egg if you what and a broody hen will not care how long she is on the nest.

When I am going to let a hen set her eggs I mark the dates on them and pull the ones that are ten days old and incubate them.
Thanks- I have been writing dates on them to keep track. I don’t plan on incubated any- just leave them to see if she feels like sitting. She did not last year.

the viability of the eggs goes down after ten days. Does that mean that even if a hen goes broody with six eggs that most likely a couple of them will not hatch?
They might all hatch, or they might not.

Older eggs are less likely to hatch, but occasionally an egg can be 2 or even 3 weeks old before the hen starts setting, and still hatch. And sometimes freshly-laid eggs will fail to hatch.

I have been writing dates on them to keep track. I don’t plan on incubated any- just leave them to see if she feels like sitting.
If the hen does start setting, and the eggs all fit under her without sticking out, I would not worry about how old the eggs are (unless they are rotten.) But if there are too many eggs, I would take away the oldest ones, until she is left an appropriate number of eggs.

the viability of the eggs goes down after ten days. Does that mean that even if a hen goes broody with six eggs that most likely a couple of them will not hatch?
I just found a thread where someone mentioned some older eggs that are developing nicely: one was 16 days old and the other 17 days old when they went into the incubator.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/our-late-hens-brood-an-experiment.1525213/
Here's a link. As of posts 6 & 7, the poster was commenting on which eggs were developing. As of today, some of the eggs are hatching, but the poster does not have a final count yet.

I just found a thread where someone mentioned some older eggs that are developing nicely: one was 16 days old and the other 17 days old when they went into the incubator.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/our-late-hens-brood-an-experiment.1525213/
Here's a link. As of posts 6 & 7, the poster was commenting on which eggs were developing. As of today, some of the eggs are hatching, but the poster does not have a final count yet.
Thanks. My hens first eggs are getting to be about that old already. Interesting to see what happens - if she decides to sit.

Back
Top Bottom