egg laying rhode island reds

riley

Songster
11 Years
Nov 30, 2008
Mooers, NY
I am getting rhode island reds in the spring and i have been wondering if they stop laying in the winter. I would welcome any and all feed back on this and any other knowlage on rhode island reds.

depending on their age I think . I started off with 30 baby chicks in April and ONLY a few are laying now , so , hopefully winter won't stop them at all , ESP. since seems like they had all SUMMER TO REST . LOL
my total flock NOW is near 100 and picking about a dozen a day . UNREAL .... I did add light to the coops tho , and seems to be kick starting them into laying .

My 30 chicks were RIR's , black austrolorps and barred rocks ...

NO MORE BABY CHICKS FOR ME ....... I want them at least 4 - 5 months old when I buy them . TAKES THEM TO LONG TO LAY , and the price of feed and up keep , NOT WORTH having babies.

Last edited:
Hatchery RIRs (Production Reds) are about the best heavy-breed layers you can have in your farmyard or backyard. They usually lay all winter, but they can stop in deep January if they're stressed by extreme weather. Usually, here in OH, I would just see a drop off, though, rather than an altogether halt in production. I never saw them beaten as winter layers, not even by the breeds that are supposed to be "known" for that, so I'd say they'll do well for you.

Back
Top Bottom