Egg Laying Song

bayareapilot

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 8, 2010
San Francisco
I have three EE's who started laying a couple of weeks ago (I raised them from week old chicks). Anyway, much has been said about the egg laying song. Now I've heard the pullets do it, but it doesn't seem to coincide with the actual laying of an egg. Sometimes they do the song and a half hour later they lay. Other times they do the song and they have laid. This morning they were all singing the egg-laying song, but no one has laid yet this morning.

Is there a rhyme or reason to it? Or perhaps maybe young pullets are prone to 'false alarms' since they are relatively new to egg laying? Just wondering...
smile.png

Mine do that too. Sometimes when I go out one will be in the coop and starts the song, and then the other 13 start singing along out in the run. It is pretty funny, but I have no idea why they do it.

I have a New Hampshire who will do it late in the evening, even though she laid her egg early in the morning. . . I also have an Araucana will will burst out in loud song the moment she sees the nesting room. And of course I have a Brahma who will do it for an hour or more, THEN lay her egg. She's sooo noisy, but I love her.

I'd say they do it when they feel like it.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom