Egg laying starts when?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickensupreme, Jun 14, 2009.

1. chickensupreme

chickensupreme Hatching

May 16, 2009
    Hello, newbie question. When should I expect egg laying to start. At how many months. Just want to be ready with the nests. Thanks, hank

2. dun chick

dun chick Songster

It can be anywhere from 22-26 weeks on average so around 6 months.

3. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    It will be the same morning that you get so excited that you pee your pants. LOL I agree with dun chick but it depends on a lot of things..breed of chickens, time of year , feed, etc. I'm still waiting on my first egg too. Good Luck

4. ducks4you

ducks4you Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    If the weather is warm, probably when your hen(s) is/are 6 months old. Then, they are LITTLE eggs. But, they get bigger.

You DO celebrate, like when you child starts walking. Then, it's less exciting, like when your 3 rd child starts walking, and you forget to take out the camera, and when they're 21 they rag you about it.....................sorry....stream of consciousness took over. [​IMG]

5. James Hudson

James Hudson In the Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    from 22 weeks to 6 months

6. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    can sometimes be earlier, like 17 to 18 weeks

7. cappuccino

cappuccino In the Brooder

May 22, 2009
    RI
    I'm no expert, but myy Easter Egger started laying about a month and a half later than my RI Reds and Silkie. I got them all at the same time. The RI Reds and Silkie started at about 5 mos, the Easter Egger about 6.

8. ADRIANNA

ADRIANNA Songster

May 25, 2009
    wenatchee
    My OEGB started laying at 16 weeks of age [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: