Egg laying stopped

Riverstone

Hatching
6 Years
May 8, 2013
Northcentral PA
This is my first breeding season with guineas. I have 2 males, and had 2 females -- one female died about 3 weeks ago after laying about 7 eggs. The 7th one had a soft shell, then 3 days later (3 days of being listless and not eating, and no more eggs laid) I found her dead without any apparent injuries. I was told it was possible that she had been egg-bound.

My second guinea has laid 7 eggs, the last one 2 days ago. I thought that guineas lay 1 egg a day, for about 15-20 days, before they stop. She isn't showing any other signs like my other guinea. She is not listless, she's eating, she's acting normal. Should I be worried that she stopped laying after only 7 eggs?

Any advice would be appreciated...

Is she free ranging at all? If so, she may have a hidden nest you do not know about. Guinea Hens don't always stick with one nest, they like privacy so maybe she felt her nest with 7 eggs was not private enough and found a new place to lay.

It's been a very weird laying season here with my flocks this year... a LOT of starting and stopping with their laying. I wish I knew why, I was expecting to be flooded in eggs as per usual around here. Even my young pullets that usually pop out eggs like a pez dispenser starting Jan/Feb haven't been laying that well for me, there's a lot of on and off with them too. Frustrating.
he.gif

Last edited:
Yes, my guineas free-range. I didn't realize that she might have another nest somewhere. I'll keep an eye out for it!

Is there anything I can do to encourage her to continue laying in her original nest? It's in the coop and boxed off. I heard if I keep her in a bit longer than the other guineas in the morning it might help. Also, does this means she won't hatch her 7 original eggs?

I'm glad to hear they lay on and off though, so I won't worry unless she starts getting listless too.

Thanks!

I doubt she will hatch those 7 eggs. To get her to lay in the coop again (and she may or may not use the same boxed off area) you will have to keep her in each day until she lays, and give her no other choice about it. Otherwise the second you let her out she will make a beeline for her other nest. You might try keeping her in until she's pacing and buck-wheating anxiously (which my Hens do right before they need to lay their egg), then let her out and see where she goes.. she may lead you right to the nest.

The male may go with her and stand guard close to where she's at on her hidden nest. He may be quietly laying on the ground near her, or standing tall and staying alert, but either way he will most likely start screaming at you when you get near (which typically indicates she's somewhere in that area). Guinea Hens really do prefer to lay in the bushes/tall grass if they are given a choice tho, even if they've already been laying in the coop. It's their natural hard-wired instinct to lay somewhere well hidden outside.

If you mark the original 7 eggs that are in the coop, (just in case she does use that spot again) then you can pull out those original 7 out after a while, or if you find another nest outside you can replace those 7 with the fresher eggs... but eggs older than 14-16 days don't usually have much viability/chance of hatching left in them.

Good luck with the nest hunting!

We found the other nest! I marked all of the eggs and added the original 7 so now there are 20. I've harvesting the newest ones so hopefully she'll stop laying soon and try hatching the 20 eggs in the nest. It has been over 15 days though since the first 7 were laid so they might not be viable anymore...

No the 7 older eggs probably are not viable any more, but the fresher eggs should hatch if she decides to go broody pretty soon.
Good luck, keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom