Egg Laying Weird Issues

donnerbrandpears

Chirping
12 Years
Jun 12, 2010
Hello. I have an ongoing problem that is frustrating me. I've had chickens for about 10 years, usually about 3-4 at a time.

About two years ago, my two youngish (about 2 years) hens stopped laying eggs. The other black chicken of the flock also slowed down production. I was very perplexed. I was giving them lay mash and plenty of room and sunlight. I thought it might be diet and added some mealy worms and oyster shells and then started letting them out to forage more in addition to regular feeding. Nothing helped. I went from 3 eggs a day to about 3 eggs a week. They didn't seem sick, except they would just stand and stare into space, all three of them for no reason whatsoever. It was actually really eerie--they went from healthy active chickens to weird zombie chickens. I knew something wasn't right, but again, they didn't seem sick otherwise.

After a *year* of this, the two chickens that stopped laying died, one at a time. They just were dead in the coop one day. I was actually kind of relieved because it was all so weird. So then I just had the one black chicken, so I got two new Rhode Island Red pullets. They matured and started laying, and things seemed back on track. The black chicken was very old so I gave her away and just had the Rhode Island Reds.

Well, now it's happening again. The Rhode Island Reds have slowed way way down on production and are just staring into space in that same zombie-chicken way. I don't know what this is! I do notice their shells on the eggs they produce are very thin, so maybe it's a mineral deficiency? Or a disease? They look healthy.

Any help/suggestions would be most welcomed.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

What is the protein and calcium percentages of their main feed?
Should be on a tag sewn into bottom of feed bag.

Are you free ranging?
How old are your current birds, in weeks or months?

Oh, and..... @donnerbrandpears
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1604323870618.png

Thanks! I'm in California, near San Francisco.

I'm feeding a layer mash, this stuff: https://rivertownfeed.com/chicken-feed/layer-feed/

I give them about two scoops a day, so maybe a cup per bird? I don't free range.

The chickens are about a year and a half.
Did you forget to click save?

That link is not telling us what the percentages are.

They should have feed available every hour they are awake.

They are most likely molting at that age this time of year.

I'm sorry, save what? They are not molting and this has been going on way too long for that.

http://www.baraleinc.com/index.php/products/poultry/item/161-16-layer-crumble-pak
16% Layer Crumble Pak - With Oyster Shell & Cracked Corn

• 16% Protein
  • 2.0% Fat
  • 6.0% Fiber

As for the amount of feed, they had unlimited recently when we were on a trip and this was still happening. But I can give them more feed, or different feed. What do you recommend?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom