Egg laying

andor114

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2015
We have 3 laying hens with 6 more close. All three were laying and then we left for 5 days on a trip. We left food and water and everything they would normally have when we were home. We came back to 11 eggs 4 short but no big deal. But the past 3 days we have only gotten 2 eggs. Any ideas as to why? Will they start laying again? Thanks

Could they be starting their molt? Tis the season. It could also be the shorter days. Look everyone over for problems (mites, worms, weight loss, etc.) and if you come up with nothing I wouldn't worry. Hen slow down on egg production this time of year. You could add suplimental lighting to the coop to help with egg laying but I wouldn't if you have pullets that haven't laid yet. It can cause them to lay prematurely

Well coupled with shortening day length this may cause just a blip in their production, or you may be in for a spell of no production. Sounds as if these are this years birds, but it may even force them into a molt.

Or you may get lucky and the impact may only be temporary. I hope for the latter.

Last edited:
Yeah they are this years birds. Do you think they will just stop laying all together?

When I say all together I mean not lay again? Thanks so much for your responses.

Don't worry, running out of food once won't make them stop laying forever :) though as sourland said, you may be in for a long spell of no eggs. They should start again in the spring

Don't panic. They will lay again. When depends upon how long they were without feed and how severely their bodies were stressed.

l had an egg bound hen last nite. we got her to lay the egg plus the lining of another one she is back to her normal self.. Question is after being egg bound how long will it take for her to lay another ? and can it keep happening to her? i do have oyster shell out there for them thank you

Back
Top Bottom