Egg laying

She’s still laying strong! I am worried about my other who hasn’t started yet. They were the same age, I assume, when I bought them.

She’s still laying strong! I am worried about my other who hasn’t started yet. They were the same age, I assume, when I bought them.
She will start when she is ready. FYI, artificial light does not always get them to /or keep them laying. My girls usually take a two month vacation in winter and they deserve it. Eggs will keep for a long time. I wash mine a store in fridge. They do last longer in fridge. If you aren’t storing in fridge, don’t wash them.

Funny thing, mine have always produced well all winter long. This is the first time production hasn't been up to par. I have 6 older hens and 6 that started laying the middle of October. I'm only getting 3 eggs a day now. One just went through a molt, so I'm hopeful she'll get cracking again soon, pardon the egg pun. The coop is in a different location under a tree that hasn't dropped it's leaves yet. I plan to use a light for the first time. I read that they need between 14 and 16 hours of light for good production. If the old gals don't get going, then they'll be going. I also just learned that they shouldn't stay on layer pellets if they aren't laying. That never occurred to me but makes sense.

Funny thing, mine have always produced well all winter long. This is the first time production hasn't been up to par. I have 6 older hens and 6 that started laying the middle of October. I'm only getting 3 eggs a day now. One just went through a molt, so I'm hopeful she'll get cracking again soon, pardon the egg pun. The coop is in a different location under a tree that hasn't dropped it's leaves yet. I plan to use a light for the first time. I read that they need between 14 and 16 hours of light for good production. If the old gals don't get going, then they'll be going. I also just learned that they shouldn't stay on layer pellets if they aren't laying. That never occurred to me but makes sense.
I switched to layer crumbles with oyster shells in it right before I added the light. It was almost 80 degrees yesterday here, I had to open the coop windows! I only have one hen laying right now, the other is doing her own thing 😂

My chickens are about to turn 23 weeks old. They are Indian red jungle fowl. I am curious to know if and when they’ll lay eggs soon. We just got our nesting box in the new coop. I’m new to chickens and excited to see my hens’ first eggs! They matured right at the beginning of fall.
I have one red jungle fowl hen, she's 2 years old and other than a few random eggs, she only lays a nest full of eggs in the spring around May, the rest of the year she doesn't lay any eggs. I believe the red jungle fowl are more like regular birds, they lay eggs in the spring to have babies and don't the rest of the year.

At least that's been my experience.

Back
Top Bottom