Egg Laying

amity3520

Songster
10 Years
Sep 5, 2009
New Hampshire
Hey everyone!

This is more of a curiosity question... I have 12 RIRs and NHRs and they're about a year and a half old now. Last fall/winter we consistently got 10-12 eggs out of the bunch, but this summer we've only been getting 4-5 a day, sometimes 7, but that's rare. Is this normal? I know they decrease as time goes on, but is it usually such a drastic decrease? All their general health has appeared well besides that...

Thanks!

that's pretty low, has it been that low all summer? I had straight NHR and RIRs for years, and they are usually better than that, even at that age, mine layed for years, I just slowly let them hatch out clutches to replace and refresh.

If it's just started more or less to get that low, it's the time of year for them to molt. If it's been going on for a while, they may be lacking some nutrition.

It's been that low all summer... what would you suggest feeding them? We give them scratch and layer pellets, and they also get to free range in the grass/garden area for a few hours every day. Their run is mostly rocky but they get their fair share of bugs, and treats from us, like lettuce and corn on the cob.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom