egg laying

dmarebel1

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 12, 2014
TERRE HAUTE IN.
hi, new member here. New byc owner too. We have 6 chickens that are 28 wks now. and a few wks ago they started laying and they've been laying good. Eggs everyday but the last 4 days not a single egg? Wandering if anyone had some insight into that for me.
Its just odd how they abruptly stopped.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Lots of things can cause a drop in laying. The weather can have effects on laying, so if the temps dropped or soared in the last week, this can cause the laying to stop. Molting will cause them to stop laying and sometimes they will stop just before the feathers start falling. Stress can cause them to stop laying as well and stress can be night time predators, day time stressors like barking dogs or too many children the birds are not accustom too, adding new birds, too many roosters, etc... Diseases, internal and external bugs can cause the laying to stop. And don't forget about predators eating the eggs or the birds themselves eating them. Of course some layers can take to laying out in the fields somewhere as well.

Here is a thread on why my chickens are not laying that may give you some ideas to search out within your flock...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/423023/why-arent-my-chickens-laying-here-are-your-answers

Good luck and I hope you can get down to the bottom of this egg laying issue soon! :)

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry your hens have stopped laying. There are a number of reasons that hens can stop laying; improper nutrition, broodiness, molting, illness, or stress caused either by a sudden change in their environment or something frightening them. Do not know if any of these things might have occurred with your flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of hens do you have?

thank you for the welcome. well since you mention that about temps, they have been 80"s in day and lower 70's at nite then abruptly bout 4 days ago it dropped to 60s in day and 50s at nite. that is a drastic change. theyre healthy and theres no predator problems so mayb its the temp thing. I hope. thank you

WELCOME!

That's a big swing in temps, and might explain it. But it would seem that if just weather, then don't know if all would be effected the same way. I'm still new to chicken raising, but even with extreme temp or weather changes I haven't seen all 6 of mine stop laying. It's a year since my girls started laying and we never had a single day without at least one egg..even with 2 going broody and laying for extended times.

I'll be interested in the link TwoCrows gave above.

Hope your girls get back to work soon!
jumpy.gif

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You've gotten some good suggestions and links above. X2, would be rather odd for it to be just the temps. If no real stresses going on like moving them to a new coop etc, at the age they are would guess they are hiding eggs or you have something else getting them (humans?). Double check to be sure your food/water sources are OK.

welcome-byc.gif
Two legged (human) predators get bolder when the cost of living goes up - they either take the whole chicken(for dinner) or the eggs (for breakfast). Have good locks on your coop and run. If the locks get broken you'll know it was a person that tampered with it. Wear gloves - to preserve the finger print .

welcome-byc.gif
Two legged (human) predators get bolder when the cost of living goes up - they either take the whole chicken(for dinner) or the eggs (for breakfast). Have good locks on your coop and run. If the locks get broken you'll know it was a person that tampered with it. Wear gloves - to preserve the finger print .

That's certainly another possible explanation.

Back
Top Bottom