Egg Life (Shelf)

father0fnine

Songster
6 Years
Jan 5, 2016
I'm sure this question has been answered 100 times but I'm having trouble finding the whole answer, and also, I would like a comparison so if anyone knows:

How long is an egg good for sitting on the counter? I know it depends on a few circumstances and what I really want to know is the difference.

How long is an egg good for on the counter if it hasn't been washed? And if it was?
How long is an unwashed egg good for in the fridge? And washed?
What about duck eggs? Washed, not washed, refrigerated, room temp?

How does it compare to store bought eggs (which are washed but, I believe, also pasteurized)

I'm sure this question has been answered 100 times but I'm having trouble finding the whole answer, and also, I would like a comparison so if anyone knows:

How long is an egg good for sitting on the counter? I know it depends on a few circumstances and what I really want to know is the difference.

How long is an egg good for on the counter if it hasn't been washed? And if it was?
How long is an unwashed egg good for in the fridge? And washed?
What about duck eggs? Washed, not washed, refrigerated, room temp?

How does it compare to store bought eggs (which are washed but, I believe, also pasteurized)

This is my recommendation, because no one is going to tell you.

Look at USDA requirements for handling shell eggs. Now look at EU requirements for sale of shell eggs.

The difference is refrigeration. In the US, widespread refrigeration is assumed to be available. The egg is washed, the bloom at least partially removed in the process, the egg is sanitized, then moved into refrigeration. In the US, an egg can sit out up to 36 hours after being laid before going into refrigeration, and it remains under refrigeration until consumption. Eggs up to 30 days old can still recieve a USDA grade A rating. Recommendation is to eat withing three to five weeks of packing. and while shell eggs **may** be pastuerized, they are not required to be pastuerized. Egg products, however, must be.

In the EU, widespread refrigeration is NOT assumed to be available. The egg may be brushed clean, the bloom is left intact, and its held at room temp until use. They require fresh eggs be gathered at least weekly, packed w/i 24 hours of arrival at the packing plant, and a "minimum durability"/"best by" date of not more than 28 days from date of packing be placed on the label.

An actual expiration??? Neither offers one.

Back
Top Bottom