Egg Lifespan in Fridge

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Brandyberry_Chick, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Brandyberry_Chick

Brandyberry_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    How long do your eggs stay fresh in the fridge? I collect mine everyday...

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    2-3 months, maybe longer...

3. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    If your not sure how long they are fresh..put them in water..those that stay completely flat are fresh about a week old they will start to raise on the big end..pointy end staying down.Old eggs 2-3 weeks will stand upright and very old float. Doesn't mean any are too old to eat just depends on what you call "fresh" we don't store them more than a week because we don't need to I have a long waiting list for them [​IMG] All of ours go straight to the refrigerator as soon as they are collected..none of our eating eggs are fertilized so I don't worry about hatching them.

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Our older hens have slowed laying due to molts, and the new pullets are laying only sporadically, so we're hoarding our eggs here. I've had some in the fridge for over a month and they still taste great. Better than the store-bought eggs I grudgingly keep around for baking. We keep the REAL eggs for food for ourselves!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    There's a difference between how long an egg will remain "fresh" in the fridge and how long you can keep and safely eat it.

A couple three weeks easy at refrigerator temps for an unwashed fresh egg before you begin to notice any real quality decline.

The folks at Mother Earth News did some testing and were able to keep eggs in the fridge for six months before they were too far gone to eat. I once kept some for four months before we ate the last of them. They were thin and watery by then, but still edible.

.....Alan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by