Egg looks completely dark when candling?

Lori J

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2017
I took an egg from under my broody hen and canceled it and it is completely dark I don’t see any air sac? Is this normal it seems like it’s about time for it to hatch

What day is it?
Air sac is on the rounded side of the egg.
it should be day 20 or so. One week in, My broody hen cracked all her eggs initially except for this one. and then I added six more. So I was just keeping an eye on this egg, since it is 7-8 days older. The replacement eggs are due to hatch in a week.

There was no air sac that’s what I was confused about. I have always been able to see an air sac in other eggs that I have a candled.

I would find it a bit worrying for there to be no air sac. But don't give up on it just yet.
A picture would help.
I have an egg that has gone completely dark on day six.... No idea what's going on with that.

What day is it?
Air sac is on the rounded side of the egg.

Also this is the first time I have candled this egg. I have been leaving her be because I’ve never hatched eggs Under a broody hen before because we don’t have a rooster. I have only previously incubated eggs in an incubator before.

If you could get a candling picture of the egg at some point that would be great.
So did you buy the fertile eggs?
Yes i bought them. Maybe I can get a picture but I hate to bother her again! It’s just like the whole egg was opaque and no matter how I turned it I couldn’t find the air sac. The other blue green eggs you can see it easily

Back
Top Bottom