Egg Mystery... sleuths needed!

Thanks! What about these two ladies? Constance decided to pose for a photo shoot just now, and the little girl in the second photo (sold as Americauna) is Petunia (9 weeks old).
IMG_9967.JPG
IMG_9970.JPG

Last edited:
She has green legs, that is an EE.
TSC in Michigan gets most their birds from Townline in Zeeland,
they market their EE's as Araucana/Ameraucana.
I call them AmerauKindas. haha!
They're good birds overall, all the ones I've gotten lay blue or green.

She has green legs, that is an EE.
TSC in Michigan gets most their birds from Townline in Zeeland,
they market their EE's as Araucana/Ameraucana.
I call them AmerauKindas. haha!
They're good birds overall, all the ones I've gotten lay blue or green.
HAAAA! I love it "Amerau-Kindas" That's great. We aren't super-concerned about what breeds we have, because we are just enjoying our funny chicken ladies so much. But we did originally choose them so that we would get an amusing variety of egg colors. Blue and green will suit me just fine :) And I loooooove Constance's coloring. Her rose-colored feathers are so pretty.

Aart look at that second bird. Do the saddle and hackle feathers look sharp? I think it's a cockerel.
First thought was stance could be a bit maleish....comb is pretty bright for 9 weeks too.
Closeup of comb, clear pic from straight on, might tell the maletale.
Too soon for hackles and saddles tho, it'll be molting in a few weeks or so,
then the pointy shiny ones may come out.

HAAAA! I love it "Amerau-Kindas" That's great. We aren't super-concerned about what breeds we have, because we are just enjoying our funny chicken ladies so much. But we did originally choose them so that we would get an amusing variety of egg colors. Blue and green will suit me just fine :) And I loooooove Constance's coloring. Her rose-colored feathers are so pretty.
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with mine...after I got (mostly)over being ticked about the false advertising that is perpetually disseminated. Pet peeve of many folks....and many will correct it, so best use the handle EE...or AmerauKinda.
There are many different patterns on them, all are quite lovely.

First thought was stance could be a bit maleish....comb is pretty bright for 9 weeks too.
Closeup of comb, clear pic from straight on, might tell the maletale.
Too soon for hackles and saddles tho, it'll be molting in a few weeks or so,
then the pointy shiny ones may come out.
Oh, well, we have one on this 9-week batch that is DEFINITELY a male. They were all supposed to be pullets, but the one I know is male has a HUGE bright comb, and is starting to develop the most amazing tail feathers with droop and brightly colored, iridescent green ones mixed in. Compared to that one, this little one looks quite mild and plain. I'll see if I can get them to stand together for a photo shoot :-D

OK ... here are my two 9-week "Kindas". The darker red one is just so roostery, and he has been from Day 1. Aggressive, noisy, and he feathered out in completely a different order than every other chicken we have had, plus, he has absolutely huge, thick feet compared to all the ladies. The lighter colored one is the same age hatched on the same day. Just doesn't seem as overtly MALE... I am not discounting your idea that it could be a male, but it hasn't been as much of an in-your-face obvious fact as with the hatch-mate.
IMG_9973.JPG
IMG_9977.JPG

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with mine...after I got (mostly)over being ticked about the false advertising that is perpetually disseminated. Pet peeve of many folks....and many will correct it, so best use the handle EE...or AmerauKinda.
There are many different patterns on them, all are quite lovely.
I don't understand why anyone would falsely advertise the variety of chickens. Anyone who couldn't tell by looking what they're getting probably doesn't care that much about the specific variety (like me). And anyone who is very definitely looking for a pure specimen of a particular breed will be much more careful, going through known reputable breeders. So why not just call the chickens what they actually are in the stores and everyone will be happy? Aart, I think you must live fairly close to me ... I'm on the lakeshore, directly east of GR.

I don't understand why anyone would falsely advertise the variety of chickens. Anyone who couldn't tell by looking what they're getting probably doesn't care that much about the specific variety (like me). And anyone who is very definitely looking for a pure specimen of a particular breed will be much more careful, going through known reputable breeders. So why not just call the chickens what they actually are in the stores and everyone will be happy? Aart, I think you must live fairly close to me ... I'm on the lakeshore, directly east of GR.

Ameraucana and Auracanas are very recent developments, if I remember right both were recognized in the1970's. Before that the names did not refer to a standard but Araucana especially was widely used. Some hatcheries had their colored egg laying flocks before these breeds were developed and named. It was pretty wild west in trying to get the colored egg layers available to the public, plus there is nobody policing what the hatcheries call their birds. Another example of that are the sex linked birds. There are no standards for what makes a red comet, gold (or golden) comet, or a black comet, plus some use totally different names for their sex links. Look at them as marketing names.

I agree it would be nice if the hatcheries would adopt a naming convention so you could tell what you are getting but some of these hatcheries have been using these names for over 60 years. Then you have people like Aart making up their own names to add to the confusion. :oops: Another one I've seen is Americana, "I" instead of "au" to mean EE. To me that's too subtle to be noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom