1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Mystery

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Qi Chicken, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Our 13 hens were born April 5 and we have had them all since that time. They began laying right around 20 weeks and we pretty much identified the eggs from each one. About 6 egg/hen matches are unmistakable.

The last one on board was Ruffles, a huge black and white EE that finally started laying a pale cream egg. Only two of our 4 EE laid a green egg. The first EE to lay began very early and we know it was a light brown one. Her egg is very LONG and narrow. Unmistakable.

Anyway, the mystery. We used a red heat lamp for a couple of weeks and we started getting tons of eggs. We have turned it off now but are still getting lots 12/13 just today.

The thing is for the past week we have been getting 3 green eggs per day. Just not possible, we don't have 3 green egg layers!

The only other thing I can think of is that we have Amelia, a barred rock, that got sick during the summer and I think has stopped laying. She is looking better now, comb redder etc. Could she be laying a green one?!?!?!?!

Help all you chicken detectives!

2. VA Lady

VA Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    Is it possible that one of your hens just started laying? We got our three hens in April and they were three or four weeks old. Two started laying the end of August but our EE just laid her first egg about a week ago. Apparently they are late bloomers. Our EE is laying pale turquoise eggs (very pretty).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by