Egg numbers getting less and less, don't know why....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mcdaid36, Apr 7, 2009.

1. mcdaid36

mcdaid36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Putnam County, NY
    I have 20 hens, all just about a year old now. By the end of the fall, we were getting a good 16-18 eggs a day. It slowed down a bit when the days got shorter, but increased again when I added a light to their coop for some extra hours of "daylight." I've since taken the light out, and egg production has really dropped, down to less than 10 eggs a day now. They have 12 hours of natural sun light now, which I thought was enough. Do you think I should add back the light? How many hours of light do thy need?

I was also thinking maybe they were starting to molt, but tonight reading some other threads, it seems that happens more in the winter months. There are more feathers in their coop than usual, and one has about half the feathers on her neck than she usually does.

Advice? Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    They are very light sensative. The reason they usually molt in the fall/winter is the change in the length of the days. My guess is the molt has started.

3. JessaLynn

JessaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Sandusky County,Ohio
    Have you checked for mites or lice? That can cause an egg drop

4. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I think the lighting has a lot to do with it. I recently shut off my lights and the laying has slowed down. I'm not going to do anything about it and just wait until the days get longer. Good luck! [​IMG] Genie

5. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    What are you feeding them if a chicken is not getting enough good stuff they need in their feed it will slow their egg laying down,I use Fertrell suppliments when i make my feed and they get all they need ,cost a little more but it is worth it to me.

Aaron

6. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    A decrease in hours of light may result in a decrease in egg production.

How many hours was the light on each Winter day? It may have been best to allow the sunlight to match that number and wait a little longer to turn off their light.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by