egg oranges

TonysChickens

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2012
SF Bay Area
Ever have your egg "whites" turn yellow/orange when you cook it? Well mine did! They're not egg whites anymore, they're egg oranges.

Here it is:

Those are egg WHITES turning YELLOW. There are only 4 eggs in that pan and all of the yolks are still whole.

I think I know what turned them yellow. I've been feeding them the oranges that has been dropping from my tree. I cut them in half and stick it in the cage for them to eat and they eat it all up.

I cooked one of the older eggs before I started feeding much oranges, and their whites did not turn yellow. Only the new ones turned yellow.

As for the treat chart saying dont feed citrus, I think citrus is fine, they just dont like to eat the peel.

The garlic salt I put in drowned out any citrus flavor if it did. Couldnt tell any citrus flavor in it.
Tony, do not feed your chickens garlic salt. Chickens are sensitive to salt and can overodse quickly on salt. garlic powder is fine(no salt in it) and I use it all the time. Interesting color of eggs!!

I believe he put garlic salt on the eggs he was cooking for himself which is why he wouldn't be able to taste any citrus flavor. I don't believe he said he fed garlic salt to the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom