egg pecker

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tcal, Jan 1, 2009.

1. tcal

tcal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama
    I have a girl pecking her egg causing cracking but not eating them. Any advise?

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Hi there! Every now and then I find a pecked egg. It seems to be when I haven't been out to the coop to check for eggs often enough. If I get out there 3 times a day, I hardly ever find a damaged egg. I don't know if that is practical for your schedule- but it seems if the eggs sit in the nest too long someone gets curious...I haven't had an egg eater yet. If I find a pecked egg- the dog gets a treat! Good luck!

3. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    Try a fake egg (wooden, marble, or a rock) in her favorite nest. It may teach/train her that pecking an "egg" isn't the thing to do. Good luck.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    My hens get curious sometimes, too. Those cracked ones go in a Pyrex custard bowl or my tiny cast iron skillet- into the oven at 300 degrees- followed by the fridge- then onto my DH's sausage biscuit the next morning. Then I remind myself to check more often! If it's there long enough, they will peck at it.

[​IMG]

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    When a hen truly becomes an egg eater or pecker it can be very difficult to break them. You have several options:

1) Collect the eggs as often as possible.
    2) Figure out which hen it is and rehome her.
    3) Try different ways to stop her. The best one that I've found is to blow out an egg and put really hot sauce (spicy) in it with a syringe... put that egg back into the nest and hope she goes for it. That will often stop a hen from messing with eggs again but not always.

The spicy hot sauce one actually worked for me with my one egg eater. She pecked open one egg with that stuff in it and has never done it again.

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I had a hen that was doing this during the summer time, I put some fake golf balls in the nesting box and it worked AWESOME !! No more pecked eggs.... Give it a try !! Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by