Egg Peritonitis?

Cluck22

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2020
One of our Ex battery hens, Pecktricia, has always been the lowest in the pecking order and has always behaved like she is unwell (dull feathers, lethargic, less active).

For 3 days she has been walking with a waddling gait (more so than usual) and has had extremely dirty tail feathers round her vent. Her back end is constantly dripping with fluid, not sure what but sometimes it looks like egg white? Her tummy is minimally swollen, it feels hard all over and the skin is red. I have assumed it is Egg Peritonitis but I am unsure.

Gave her a epsom salt bath and massaged her tummy gently and she did 3 HUGE diarrhoea poops! ?constipated?
When she had had her bath and was put back outside she was immediately attacked by the highest ranking hen.

Two questions:

1. Does this sound like egg Peritonitis?

2. Should I bring her inside for close observation and warmth or will this make the bullying much worse when I put her back out? She isn't usually attacked so obviously so I think it was because she had been away for a while that she was attacked

Thank you

Attachments

• 20201205_144748.jpg
    20201205_144748.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 6
She does sound like she has egg yolk peritonitis or a related reproductive problem. Does she normally lay eggs? Is her vent damaged or ever been pecked by other chickens? I would soak her vent area in warm soapy water to clean her up, but she must be inside where it is warm and dried with a hair dryer. Nustock cream from the horse supplies in feed stores can help heal her vent area if it is irritated or if she has vent gleet. Here is some reading about EYP:
https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/egg-yolk-peritonitis-in-backyard-chickens

Back
Top Bottom