Egg pipped at day 18 . It’s a sumatra . Too soon?.

rachellea

Chirping
May 28, 2023
I almost threw this egg out as I saw no movement day 17… it would be my only survivor of the poorly shipped Sumatra eggs . Anyone have experience with this where the egg survives… these were expensive expensive eggs. Of note the Polish beside it are fine.

Attachments

• 547BB6BD-8E15-4F3E-B8C8-6D84C81FBDB5.jpeg
    547BB6BD-8E15-4F3E-B8C8-6D84C81FBDB5.jpeg
    323.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I almost threw this egg out as I saw no movement day 17… it would be my only survivor of the poorly shipped Sumatra eggs
Technically too soon if from your own flock under known conditions. It could have had some development before you set it (from temps during collection or shipping).. and life sometimes finds a way! Can you hear any peeping?!

If it finishes hatching (might still be tomorrow).. remove it to the brooder once it's dry, as it likely won't have enough yolk on board until others hatch and dry out. You will have to keep it company until it's friends arrive.

Is this your first time incubating? Were your Polish eggs shipped too?

:fl:jumpy

Yes mam first time hatching .
I also have a brooding box ready so I can definitley do this .
It’s chirping here and there and the egg rocks a little bit .
The Sumatra eggs and the polish were shipped .
The person who shipped the Polish shipped them like a pro. And the Polish were cheaper . I wish everyone took the same measures as the eggs have been so fertile . The sumatras have been a mess. Most didn’t appear fertile and they were kinda just randomly packed in straw in a box. One of the Sumatra yolks arrived broken and got on all the other Sumatra eggs and I paid so much to have something so unfortunate for the first experience !

I attached how the good eggs were shipped ,( it had a fitted lid and these were form fitted to each egg) but I didn’t take a picture of the others because I was horrified.

Attachments

• 25B9AB12-C1A5-4AAD-9835-5BC7FF8BC64C.jpeg
    25B9AB12-C1A5-4AAD-9835-5BC7FF8BC64C.jpeg
    442.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Yes mam first time hatching .
I also have a brooding box ready so I can definitley do this .
It’s chirping here and there and the egg rocks a little bit .
The Sumatra eggs and the polish were shipped .
The person who shipped the Polish shipped them like a pro. And the Polish were cheaper . I wish everyone took the same measures as the eggs have been so fertile . The sumatras have been a mess. Most didn’t appear fertile and they were kinda just randomly packed in straw in a box. One of the Sumatra yolks arrived broken and got on all the other Sumatra eggs and I paid so much to have something so unfortunate for the first experience !

I attached how the good eggs were shipped ,( it had a fitted lid and these were form fitted to each egg) but I didn’t take a picture of the others because I was horrified.
Technically too soon if from your own flock under known conditions. It could have had some development before you set it (from temps during collection or shipping).. and life sometimes finds a way! Can you hear any peeping?!

If it finishes hatching (might still be tomorrow).. remove it to the brooder once it's dry, as it likely won't have enough yolk on board until others hatch and dry out. You will have to keep it company until it's friends arrive.

Is this your first time incubating? Were your Polish eggs shipped too?

:fl:jumpy
Good news my stepson told me the chick is screaming it’s head off and half way out of the shell on its own! So far this premie seems to be doing okay!

Back
Top Bottom