Egg pippping at DAY 15!

Jul 9, 2020
Melbourne, Australia.
Hi all! I got 12 fertilized eggs for incubating. 6 (extremely rare) wyandotte bantams, 6 mixed d'uccles.

I candled them at day 6 and almost threw them all out. I thought none of the wyandottes had developed, but I retried SEVERAL times, and managed to find 6 that were alive. 2 wyandotte, 4 d'uccles.

Was doing a quick candle tonight when I saw one had pipped!! They are tiny bantams and i shouldve started lockdown around now, but it wasn't on my mind, since my last tiny bantams hatched day 23!

I speedily put some grip fabric down and raised the humidity. Will update you tmrow. Wish the chickadees luck!

Incubator temp is 37.6. Wanted to do a dry hatch, (my last hatch was TERRIBLE and humidity too high) but this stupid incubator has an alarm at 30%. It wakes me up most nights, but average it's been is probably 35%. Air cells look perfect size. Pip looks well positioned.

How high should I have the humidity now? Any tips? I expect the hatch to be a little staggered.

IMG_20210104_132359_759.jpg
she's adorable. I hope the others hurry along!
I've never heard of a chick hatching this early. Very interesting. I'll keep watching to see when the rest hatch. Thanks for the update.

Back
Top Bottom