Egg Position in Lockdown

Rose66

Songster
9 Years
Jan 26, 2011
Alabama
i'm using a hatcher for the first time for my upcoming hatch. The eggs in the incubator are in a turner. When I move them to the hatcher at lockdown, do they need to be put in a tray to hold the eggs big end up like they have been or can they be laid on their side naturally? Thanks.

I'd say they should lay on their sides. If they were under a hen they'd have been on their sides...

So even though they have been in the upright position for 18 days, it is okay to lay them on their side for the last 3 days?

So even though they have been in the upright position for 18 days, it is okay to lay them on their side for the last 3 days?
Yep it's fine. If they are in an egg turner the haven't really been up right the whole time. They rock back and forth slowly side to side.
I always take mine and lay them on their sides to hatch so the egg can roll as the chick tries to get out.

Yep it's fine.  If they are in an egg turner the haven't really been up right the whole time.  They rock back and forth slowly side to side.

Good point. I hadn't thought about that.

[/quote]I always take mine and lay them on their sides to hatch so the egg can roll as the chick tries to get out.  [/quote]

What does the egg rolling around as the chick hatches do for the chick?

Good point. I hadn't thought about that.
I always take mine and lay them on their sides to hatch so the egg can roll as the chick tries to get out. [/quote]
What does the egg rolling around as the chick hatches do for the chick?[/QUOTE]
The egg rolling around makes it easier IMO for the chick to get out. I've sat there with many hatches watching the chicks struggle to get out. I've had some take hours because they were stuck between other eggs and couldn't roll their egg into the right position to get more then just a toe out. Nothing worse then having your nose pressed against the glass of the incubator encouraging an animal that cannot understand you and doing the potty dance because you've had to pee for over an hour. lol

The egg rolling around makes it easier IMO for the chick to get out. I've sat there with many hatches watching the chicks struggle to get out. I've had some take hours because they were stuck between other eggs and couldn't roll their egg into the right position to get more then just a toe out. Nothing worse then having your nose pressed against the glass of the incubator encouraging an animal that cannot understand you and doing the potty dance because you've had to pee for over an hour. lol

Ahh, the potty dance....very familiar with that in many different situations.
lol.png

Thanks so much for all the responses. I've only hatched maybe 3 hatches so far (only guinea and chicken eggs) and I've always just let the eggs hatch in the egg turner but with the turner turned off. I've had pretty good hatch rates especially the guinea eggs. Those little keets are *very* determined to hatch under any circumstances. lol I've now got 6 turkey eggs for the first time in the incubator and I'm anxious about doing the best thing for them to hatch. Thus, my initial question about egg position. Thanks again for all the responses.

Back
Top Bottom