egg prices

I guess it depends on the prices in the store. I sell ours for 3$ dozen and that is a great price. Considering when my girls weren't laying I was paying 4.89 a dozen for cage free eggs.

They normally go for about 3 a dz....This one just made me laugh, because I pity the person who thinks that's a good price..especially in the winter, with no greens...

I've had some return customers pay me that much because they felt embarrassed about paying 3 for better eggs than the "organic" ones they get at the hippie dippie store.

I always tell them the chickens will appreciate the extra feed money. Funny how people will spend so much for the "organic" label. Mine aren't fed certified organic feed but the eggs are better as most "organic" eggs are not true free-range, they live in cages or dirt runs and eat a straight diet of feed. I've had some people turn away because my feed isn't "organic" though, just local feed mill brand. Their loss. Have no problem moving my eggs.

If you add up all the supplies needed to build the coop, pay our carpenter friend, buy the peeps, and then feed and maintain them, my first egg was worth about $1300.00. That said, my only paying customer is my brother from NY City, who pays me $3.00 for a half dozen. Things in NY are just more expensive all around. My eggs are still valuable enough to me that I gave half dozens to my siblings, parents and pastor, as Christmas presents. But I'm pretty sure Trader Joe's and Whole Foods' "organic" and "free range" eggs are similarly higher priced than the average super market variety. As somebody already said, for some people, it's worth it.

mm

I wish I could even get $3 for my eggs. I sell mine for $1.50 and my closest competitor down the road sells hers for $1.00. If it wasn't for her I might try for $2.00 but as long as she is in business I'll have to stick with pushing $1.50.

If you use EGGZY (eggzy.net) you really can get a handle on the cost you are paying for your own eggs. It might surprise you. (especially in the winter). As the OP said, it is what the market will bear.

A lot depends on how much someone puts into their chickens, coop, feed, treats, medicine (if any)....etc.

Back
Top Bottom