Egg problem with Buff Orphington, will not come out

Well, it is 100 degrees here today. Poor little chicken is in the hottest spare coop. She still does not seem distressed. We (me and the chicken) did try get the egg out, but it is just not going to happen. I pushed everything back inside her and tried opening the vent, then she pushed, but only poop came out.

Which means I guess that my thoughts might be correct, the egg is stuck in a herniated area of the intestine. The tissue is getting dark red.

Any thoughts about a quick and humane way to kill her?

I'm very sad for you. Even if you crush and remove the egg and debris, and give her a week or so of antibiotics, it doesn't sound like that would fix the hernia that has formed. And the next egg might get stuck again in the same spot... I can't see a good ending here unless you have access to a talented vet who works on chickens and is willing to do surgery to make sure your chicken never lays again or is somehow able to fix the hernia (also large expense). So sorry you and your hen are going through this!

An upside down traffic cone mounted securely (search kill cone on this site), trimmed to make the small opening a bit wider if needed, large tree limb loppers, and a bucket beneath the traffic cone. Cut quickly/firmly and walk away for a few minutes. There are many other ways if this doesn't sound like it will work for you.

My heart is breaking for you and your hen.

I'm very sad for you. Even if you crush and remove the egg and debris, and give her a week or so of antibiotics, it doesn't sound like that would fix the hernia that has formed. And the next egg might get stuck again in the same spot... I can't see a good ending here unless you have access to a talented vet who works on chickens and is willing to do surgery to make sure your chicken never lays again or is somehow able to fix the hernia (also large expense). So sorry you and your hen are going through this!

An upside down traffic cone mounted securely (search kill cone on this site), trimmed to make the small opening a bit wider if needed, large tree limb loppers, and a bucket beneath the traffic cone. Cut quickly/firmly and walk away for a few minutes. There are many other ways if this doesn't sound like it will work for you.

My heart is breaking for you and your hen.
Yes, the egg is already fractured, I can feel it. I do not want to prolong her suffering and I do not think that trying to force out the shell, etc. would really help in the long run.

Right now she is alert and not too distressed. She does let out a moan when I push everything back in and try to divert it into the correct "lane". She pushes, but the sac and egg just come back out from what I think is the intestine.

I have nursed three roosters back to excellent health (hawk strike, dog maul, gone for three weeks) but I do not think this situation will have a good outcome for any concerned. She is a beautiful bird. I have not taken a good count yet, but I believe she is one of four Buffs that I bought in April or May. They are just starting to lay, so this may have been her first or one of her first eggs. They are housed with my 21 Salmon Faverolles, all of who have just started to lay. I have not seen any of the Buffs in the nest boxes, but that does not mean they have not been in there. Or they may prefer another coops' nest boxes.

I may not have looked at enough videos, but all the ones that I saw had Buff Orphingtons with the problem.

Thanks for all the concern and advise.

Back
Top Bottom