egg producing drastic drop

leedyfeathers

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
VA
I had been getting up to nine eggs from my 25 hens, some just starting to lay. The lowest 5 eggs in a day. Now in three days just a few.
It started about the time we had the first freeze. Or possibly the day I found two shelless eggs under the roost they were not busted however later I found under the roost two broken eggs only half the shell on one. I had only got three eggs yesterday, two eggs today. One had yolk on it from an apparent busted egg.. but nothing was in or around coop. The eggs I gathered these two days have had scrapes some kinda deep on the shells outside but had not busted. Do you think other reasons for low egg and yes I do need to find out whom is eating my eggs. I just hope its a cat or a crow something other than my girls.. I hate to have to do some thing drastic.

I would increase calcium a bit, but the main reason for your drop in production is Winter. Shorter days and longer nights tell your hens' bodies that it is time to rest. I always have few that continue to lay a bit in the winter but I have several heavy layers just for that purpose. Many lighter breeds will stop completely and resume in the Spring.

I leave a feeder of calcium to have at will along with gravels. They have been at it regular this week. Yes here in VA we have had two frosts already and a week of rainy cloudy days.. the last three days ive found wat I listed above. I have been letting them out as soon as theres light because they peck around in coop more and end up sick. I was also hopping to give them more daytime that way. I can make my coop pretty dark or fairly light as possible. I have. Een tossing cracked corn in the morning about a pound for 25chickens.they dont eat as much pellets ive noticed. Now the bucket wS about empty

They will increase their food intake when the weather is cold (why I have paired down my flock signifigantly!). Some people add artifical light to increase production. Keep in mind that a hen only has a certain number of eggs, so false light will give you eggs now, but decrease the laying life in the long run.

Aah I don't want to push them. But it has been strange that they had not eat as much this week. I did change the brand because of distance. But I mixed the pellets with mesh so it would go over better they wasted more of mesh than with pellets but if they won't eat it I dont guess its goung to help any.

The mixing ad been over a month and gradual. I didn't see problems till now.. it had been a week on pellets before all this

The diet change might be part of it, but I am thinking that the drop in temps and sunlight is the biggest issue. I would stick to the food change and give them time, they will eat when they decide that that is all they will get. I woudn't feed them too much corn, especailly if they are in the middle of a new food switch. They are apt to fill up on corn and not get the nutrition they need from the pellets!!!

The corn is gone in twenty min tops.. I only throughout in the morning and if I need to get them up in run from free range I use two slices of bread. they tend to like routine and maybe with all the rain and food change and two days of no ranging due to troublesome dogs, its made them less than happy. I have five eggs today but I also been keeping tight watch on them. Ill just have to give more time and look out for an egg snatcher.

Back
Top Bottom