Egg Production Chart per Breed ?

From October through the first of January I kept a daily record of each hen and the eggs she laid. My wife was amazed that I could look at an egg and tell her which bird laid it when there are 23 layers out there.

Best layers in my flock? in order of most eggs

Black Sex link (Missed two days in three months)
Barred Rock
Cinnamon Queen
Leghorns (I have a PW, CW and LB)... they all lay the same
EEs
W/BW Ameraucanas
B/B/S Ameraucanas
Buff Orpington

and bringing up the rear are

Partridge Cochin,
Salmon Faverolle,
Polish
And last was my
GC Marans, but lately she's been laying more

If you are in it for the eggs

BLACK SEX LINKS, Barred Rocks, Cinnamon Queens and Leghorns.

Quote:
Opa,

Awesome. Exactly what I was after.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. . . . it's missing half the breeds I'm after: Orpington (Blue), Light Sussex, Chantecler (Buff) and Brahma (Buff)

This must be a European chart. . . .

John

Last edited:
Maybe you already know about this, but on Henderson's Handy-Dandy Chicken Chart, the left column has a series of links. For any chicken that has "PP" in this column, that will link you to "Poultry Pages". Scroll down to the bottom of the poultry page, and it lists the number of eggs per year expected for that bird.
I do not even have chickens yet, but I have already become obsessed. I plan to get Buff and Dark Brahmas, Speckled Sussex, California White, Barred Rock, Buff Rock, Ameraucana, and Welsummer (along with some Dark Cornish for meat). I am more after an assortment of colors in the eggs, as opposed to the heaviest production. Where do you plan to get your chickens? We also live in Maine, and I wish there were a local source.

Quote:
I checked those links out awhile back and they only listed egg numbers for 3 of the 7 breeds on my list. Some of the numbers seemed quite conservative too, relative to what I was reading elsewhere. As an example, they list the Sussex (I'll have Light Sussex) at an average per year of 180 eggs. The breeder himself gets about 280 a year per hen.

Quote:
Sounds like you and I are on the same page about this stuff. I'll be getting mine from three different breeders (no hatcheries). They're located in Tennessee, Michigan and South Dakota. Clearly, I won't be getting anything local.
smile.png

Where in Maine are you?

John

Last edited:
Quote:
Fairfield is near Waterville, right? I often confuse it with Fort Fairfield up in Aroostook.

Everything will be shipped in. I'm not absolutely sure on the quantities yet. Things are still quite a ways off. Four of the breeds I'll be getting will come as fertilized eggs that I'll have to incubate; another breed will come as straight run chicks, 2 days old; and the last two will be coming as 6 week old pullets and cockerels. I'm going to do my best to stagger things so that I end up with chickens that are all within 2 to 3 weeks of each other.

I'll have a better idea this Fall as to quantities.

John

Back
Top Bottom