Egg production nosedive

Hands On Dad

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 10, 2014
Walker, LA
So I have 8 girls, 7 buff orpingtons and one red star. They are 31 weeks old and have been laying for about 2 months. Once everyone started laying, we have been getting 6-8 eggs a day. Mostly small, some mediums, and a few large. For the past week, egg production has dropped to 2-5 eggs a day, and all barely register as "peewee" on our egg scale.

All of the girls seem healthy. No mites or runny noses. All are happy and eating and drinking normally. They get scratch once or twice a week as a treat, and then it's just a cup or two. They eat Dumor layer pellets. They free range about 2-3 hours a day in the evenings. I don't think that they are molting, I haven't noticed any feathers in the run or coop and no change in their appearance, but this is our first flock as a family so I could be mistaken. I've also checked all of their vents and all look normal. They don't appear to be egg bound or have any issues down there. They have grit and oyster shells available in the run.

If I can rule out health issues, I'm fine. I'm not in this for the egg production as with two small boys who love the eggs, we don't have any left over to sell or give away anyway! I'm thinking that maybe it's just too hot right now. I live in south Louisiana and we've been in 95-100 daytime highs for 2-3 weeks now. Their coop and run are in the shade and I've been adding ice to their water for the past few days.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
If its really hot out, the heat is likely causing a problem. Could they be eating their own eggs or a predator eating their eggs? Were there any major changes done to the coop? Health problems can lead to laying problems, so do keep an eye on them, but if they show no other symptoms it probably isn't anything to worry about.

Best of luck!
smile.png

I don't think they are eating them. I've not found any shells or anything. I thought about something stealing them, but I haven't found any way something could get in or any signs of a predator. I'll keep an eye on them and pray for cooler weather!

I am in South Carolina and my production has taken a nose dive that I attribute to the heat. We had a day under 90 and I got the most eggs the following day.

I'm in SC also and my hens production is way down. I've checked everything with mine too and except for one of the Wydottes losing some feathers they seem fine. Looking forward to some cooler nights next week and hoping that will help with the laying.

I'm brand new to laying hens. I only had my chickens for two weeks now and my five hens only laid three eggs. Does the heat have a lot to do with their laying ? It has been in the 90 for about a month now and very humid. My coup is in the heat with home made shade only.

I'm brand new to laying hens. I only had my chickens for two weeks now and my five hens only laid three eggs. Does the heat have a lot to do with their laying ? It has been in the 90 for about a month now and very humid. My coup is in the heat with home made shade only.

Yes, the heat can lower egg laying. Other reasons can be stress, not enough nutrition, and egg-eaters (predators or chickens).

Back
Top Bottom