1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg production reduction

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kkcamiller, Oct 14, 2012.

1. kkcamiller

kkcamiller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2010
    I have 20 chickens 7 of the girls are more than a year old. Two are black sex links, 4 are Golden Comets and 1 leg horn. The others are 6 months. I'm only getting about 3-4 eggs a day. Anyone have suggestions?

2. puglady

puglady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    NH
    There can be lots of reasons for slow downs, molts, sickness, changes in their routine and the amount of light (time wise) they get per day. My girls are just getting through a molt and had slowed down for that, now the hours of daylight are getting short. Yours are a bit young for molt. If they havent been sick and there haven't been any other significant changes its most likely because the days are getting shorter and shorter. You can put a light on in the coop for a couple of hours at night to see if it helps. Some people would rather naturally let their ladies slow down during the winter and others put a light on for a few hours which helps with egg production.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by