1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg production way down!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trunkman, Jun 24, 2011.

1. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I have 8 one year old hens, 3, 24 week old pullets and 11 16 week old EE's. Over the past two weeks I've watched my production go from about 8 to 9 eggs a day to 3 or 4 eggs a day. The 24 week olds should be laying by now, and the one year olds should be in their prime, for a total of 11 hens I'm only getting a few eggs a day. There's no sign of danger from predators, no stress from too many Roos, only one mature roo and two cockerels and no fighting. I got rid of 13 Roos a couple of weeks ago that came from the hatch and EE purchase. They are in a 2000 square foot run and have fresh water at all times, have layer feed at all times, get watermelon and cantaloupe treats every few days and a scoop of scratch a day, am I doing anything wrong and why is the production down?? [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    How hot is it where you are? Heat can make egg production go down. Sounds like you're taking great care of them. How about worming them....Maybe they need a good worming.

3. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I have 6 hens... they are being slack about laying too..I don't know what's going on [​IMG]

4. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    By any chance could they be laying somewhere else in a hiding place?

I found if my girls got a bit slack that giving them a few pieces of beef each used to start them churning out the eggs again

5. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    It has been hot here, in the lower to middle 90's. How do I check for worms?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by