Egg question

Peoples

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2017
East Tennessee
I have a easter egger who lays light green eggs typically with rough bump patches on the shell. Today as I am grabbing one a few weeks old has some black in the bump grooves and when I cracked the egg open appeared a residue of green powder on yolk....what would cause this? I wash and refrigerate my eggs

I have a easter egger who lays light green eggs typically with rough bump patches on the shell. Today as I am grabbing one a few weeks old has some black in the bump grooves and when I cracked the egg open appeared a residue of green powder on yolk....what would cause this? I wash and refrigerate my eggs
Sounds like possible mold or bacteria growing on a micro crack in that egg.

For me clean unwashed egg are stored in the fridge and get washed if desired at time of use.. the bloom on the egg is supposed to be a protective coating but can not be effective when washed off.

I also wonder.. how could green be described as powder on a yolk and not wet.. was this in boiled form?

Some feed stuffs can cause green yolks.. this is not how thy're described.

Typically speaking for myself.. refrigerated, clean, collected daily, unwashed eggs without any microcracks have lasted 6 + months.

Eggs that are not "clean" when collected.. get washed and placed for use right away ahead of others or fed back to the animals.

Regarding the rough bumps.. either too much calcium in her diet or a shell gland hiccup.. What is her age? Please reference following link for useful information..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Are you able to snap a few photos the next time you see what you described?

In the meantime, maybe @Eggcessive, @Wyorp Rock, @EggSighted4Life, or @U_Stormcrow can help.

I’d say, obviously, don’t eat the eggs for now.

What exactly are you feeding your flock?
Hi. I feed Layer pellets. This bird is about year old. More times then not she has that rough outer shell. Yesterday I get a smooth one which is not typical for her. It is usually rough shell

Back
Top Bottom