Egg question

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
Does a chickens diet have anything to do with an eggs color. 4 of my pullets started laying last week and all the eggs have been a different shade of brown and size. So far about 3 from each hen. But I just got one out of the nest that was tan. I don't have a clue which hen did it. I also have 3 BO's that haven't started. Could one of them snuck in and layed it? The hens I know that are laying is 2 RIR, a Wyandotte, and a Black Sexlink. This one I can't figure out.

Ideas?

Maybe I can offer something that I just learned from another thread. I am sure you know that red earlobes mean the egg will be brown. But the feathers around the earlobe will determine the shade of brown. I have a Cherry Egger (which is a cross with a Hubbard Isa Brown), who just started laying this week. Her eggs were MUCH lighter than I expected them to be, almost a pinkish brown. When I read that in the other thread about the feather color around the ear I looked at her ears, and sure enough, she has light tan feathers around her ears! Cool, huh?

So what color ears would a white layer have? Maybe I don't quite understand what the actual ear is? I'm intrigued....

The wife just got home and I showed her the egg, and she said, oh, a blue egg. So I said tan, she says blue. The only hen I have that the feather thing would identify would be the Black Sexlink. Strange, for me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom