Egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ole rooster, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Does a chickens diet have anything to do with an eggs color. 4 of my pullets started laying last week and all the eggs have been a different shade of brown and size. So far about 3 from each hen. But I just got one out of the nest that was tan. I don't have a clue which hen did it. I also have 3 BO's that haven't started. Could one of them snuck in and layed it? The hens I know that are laying is 2 RIR, a Wyandotte, and a Black Sexlink. This one I can't figure out.

Ideas?

2. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    ear color determines egg shell color, diet can affect egg yolk color

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Maybe I can offer something that I just learned from another thread. I am sure you know that red earlobes mean the egg will be brown. But the feathers around the earlobe will determine the shade of brown. I have a Cherry Egger (which is a cross with a Hubbard Isa Brown), who just started laying this week. Her eggs were MUCH lighter than I expected them to be, almost a pinkish brown. When I read that in the other thread about the feather color around the ear I looked at her ears, and sure enough, she has light tan feathers around her ears! Cool, huh?

4. lollimama

lollimama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    So what color ears would a white layer have? Maybe I don't quite understand what the actual ear is? I'm intrigued....

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    The wife just got home and I showed her the egg, and she said, oh, a blue egg. So I said tan, she says blue. The only hen I have that the feather thing would identify would be the Black Sexlink. Strange, for me anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by