Egg question

KeriT

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2015
Piedmont, SC
I have a pair of turkeys who will be a year this spring. They have recently been mating and the hen has laid some eggs. I have been gathering them as she lays them (about every other day) because of the cold and ice (I'm in SC) I'm trying to keep them in the house for her to hatch when there is enough (and weather warms up). I thought I looked really good yesterday and day before but didn't see any in her nest but this morning I found two! My question is are they viable if they have been frozen? Also the ice has made them wet and I'm worried about the bloom being compromised. Any advice???

Last edited:
I think general rule if you were going to incubate eggs Is not to hold the eggs over 10 days. I'm not sure how you could make your hen go broody. Mine just go when they want to. As dar as eggs you think might have gotten to cold or frozen I would eat them or toss em.

I think general rule if you were going to incubate eggs Is not to hold the eggs over 10 days. I'm not sure how you could make your hen go broody. Mine just go when they want to. As dar as eggs you think might have gotten to cold or frozen I would eat them or toss em.
Ok thanks. I just figured if I got enough to put out there all at once that she would naturally sit on them. Also I have heard that turkey eggs stay fertile longer because it takes so long for her to lay a good sized cluth to sit on. They lay an egg every other day till they have 15 or 20 then hatch them out?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom