Egg questions

Stephluv304

Chirping
Apr 5, 2018
West by God Virginia
First let me say sorry i have been mia so long backyard fam. Life has been crazy hetic busy. Hope everyone is well. But my question is my female pekin has laid 3 eggs over the period of 4 days they r small and she isnt sitting on them is this normal for the delay between egg for her not sitting on them what i can do to possibly help her. And part 2 of the question are the eggs safe around our male ducks 2 of the 3 are very calm and only fight among themselfs but the 3rd my little baby quakers has become very very aggrisive towards me an any human and he also will be aggresive towards the other ducks if it involves his pool or sometbing he thinks is his or if i love on the others he attacks them. But should i be considered about him around the eggs? All answers are appreciated

Pekins are not know for their broodiness they are known for their meat and for laying. So you may get one interested in brooding and maybe not. Best thing to do is leave the eggs in the nest till she has laid around 10 after day ten they are beginning to lose fertility, If she hasn't shown any interest in sitting on them take them out and let her start again. You never know when the broody bug may hit.

Is she a new layer? they don't always lay every day and older more mature don't always lay every day either.

Pekins are not know for their broodiness they are known for their meat and for laying. So you may get one interested in brooding and maybe not. Best thing to do is leave the eggs in the nest till she has laid around 10 after day ten they are beginning to lose fertility, If she hasn't shown any interest in sitting on them take them out and let her start again. You never know when the broody bug may hit.

Is she a new layer? they don't always lay every day and older more mature don't always lay every day either.

Yes this is her first time and she is very young we tryd to keep it from happing but u cant stop nature lol

@Miss Lydia we r up to 15 she still isnt sitting on them but she did get up set we move em to clean out the straw in the pen
20180825_201236.jpg

If she has 15 eggs and hasn't committed yet I doubt she will if me I'd remove all the dirty ones which is most of them but there are 4 that don't look too bad. Leave those 4 and see what happens. Or let her keep laying them and see if anything changes but Pekins aren't known to go broody so it just may not happen. :idunno it's really a toss up. lol

Back
Top Bottom