Egg rejection !!

hulkk1976

Hatching
Oct 7, 2015
Hey there I have a slw hen sitting on eggs for about a week.Now she has pushed 5 eggs out and kept three under her.
does anyone know why hens do this cheers
smile.png

Sometimes they push out eggs that they don't think are viable. I'm not so certain they are good judges of that. You might want to candle them for signs of life before disgarding them or open one and see . You might also try putting them in an incubator if they appear to be living.

If this is her first time setting, she may just not like having so many eggs under her. Inexperienced broodies are just learning as they go along.

Thanks for that info.I marked the eggs thinking she was turfing out the same eggs but shes just randomly pushing them out but is always leaving three under herself.Chickens that count.

hey there cypressdrake just noticed you have French marans.have you incubated any and did you have any trouble hatching them is so.

I have been hatching Black Copper Marans, and Blue Coppers, since 2008. I hatch almost weekly. I have no trouble hatching at all. The only trouble now is the flocks molting and not a good hatch rate during the molt. Other then that I love my Marans over all the other breeds I have or had. They are very hardy for most any homestead.

This is my web site with a lil info on them www.cypressduckfarm.com/french_black_copper_marans

Back
Top Bottom