egg rescue mission successful - now what?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ownedbyparrots, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ownedbyparrots

ownedbyparrots New Egg

Mar 13, 2008
    I saved two fertilized eggs from dissection during my general biology lab today - they're both 5 days old (had I cracked the eggs open, you could have seen a beating heart and developing eyes).

Is there any hope of keeping the embryos alive, and hatching them? I don't have an incubator, but hopefully tomorrow one will be available for me to use. Would the embryos survive a day with improvised incubation?

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Are the shells cracked open?

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

The eggs will need to be kept warm, about 100 degrees. Put them in a box....with a damp towel next to them. do NOT wrap them in the towel...put a lamp over it..and keep them warm untill you can get them in the bator. They MIGHT make it! Just will be a late hatch, if they survive the cool down.
    Good luck, and keep us posted!

4. ownedbyparrots

ownedbyparrots New Egg

Mar 13, 2008
    The shells aren't cracked, at least.

Thanks for the advice - I have them nested in paper towels in an empty aquarium with a cover and heat lamp, with a bowl of hot water next to it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Put a thermometer in there to see how warm it is. You want it around 102 F in the aquarium to keep the incubation process going. Good luck.

Jody

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well... really you shouldn't be taking eggs like that from a school lab... but there is still a chance at hatching them. The sooner in an incubator the better. My guess is that they will be white leghorns of the commercial hatchery strains if this is a university class.

7. ownedbyparrots

ownedbyparrots New Egg

Mar 13, 2008
    It's at 99 degrees fahrenheit right now. I don't know if I should put the lamp directly over the eggs. It would be warmer, but does direct light affect them?

And yes, this is a college class, but don't worry - my lab instructor let me keep my egg, and actually gave me a second one leftover from the previous lab section.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Light won't bother them. I actually use lights to heat my incubator for the full 21 days. Hope they make it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by