Egg safety?

98 year old local has been using butter or lard all her life...and Mother Earth New did tests some years back...I dont keep mineral oil in the house but I always have butter or lard

My grandfather smoked cigars till he was 101, then quit...kinda sad, he died soon after :(
Is your 98 year old local claiming her longevity is due to using butter or lard, otherwise I don't see a correlation. 

Mother Earth News reports not washing, using nothing but refrigeration is best,
Click Here for the full report you mention.

They did not test Mineral oil...to bad.

Below are a few sources and interesting reads just to start.
You of course must decide what method works best for you.
Hope this helps:

http://www.preparednesspro.com/safely-preserving-eggs
http://prepared-housewives.com/preserving-eggs-experiment-1-year-later/
http://www.offthegridnews.com/off-grid-foods/preserving-eggs-for-the-long-term/
http://lifehacker.com/5923565/coat-eggs-in-mineral-oil-to-keep-them-fresh-longer
http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/long-eggs-last-covered-mineral-oil-42798.html

... Shes saying shes 98 and hasnt died yet from using butter.

And Im not about to take my super healthy home farmed eggs and soak them in distilled petroleum.

And Im not about to take my super healthy home farmed eggs and soak them in distilled petroleum.

I don't either, I like them fresh also.
smile.png

But...I still wouldn't use butter...just sayin...and agreeing with her source.

Sorry if I came off too strong, too much coffee...

I don't either, I like them fresh also. :)

But...I still wouldn't use butter...just sayin...and agreeing with her source.

Sorry if I came off too strong, too much coffee...

Hah np :) have you seen butter go rancid? It takes a long time. A lot of people even leave butter out on the counters and never refridgerate it.
But again, I dont refridgerate or oil and my eggs have always taken weeks to go bad. Were it a doomsday situation, I cant imagine that I would have such a surplus of eggs that I would need to oil or butter them.

Last edited:
I'm of the bring-em-in-and-put-em-in-the-fridge school. No prewashing. I'm pretty pleased with how clean they are when I bring them in. If I do find an egg with a little yuck on it, I just pull the nesting material out and toss it on the floor and put in clean. Doesn't happen very often. That egg then gets wiped down with a paper towel.

My mother worked as an egg candler at Blue Ribbon Hatchery in Minnesota while I was growing up. She trained us early to always break each egg into a small bowl before using it, a habit I subscribed to even when I was buying store eggs. Back in the day, you could buy grade B eggs and you knew to expect the occasional spot in them. I can't even tell you the last time I saw a carton of eggs in a store marked "Grade B."

When I have new egg customer, they get a little pamphlet telling them that the eggs they are buying aren't washed and why, and that they may run into a bit of yuck in an egg from time to time. I recommend that they wash the eggs before using and crack them into a bowl before adding to a recipe or frying pan to avoid surprises. I haven't had a carton of eggs returned or a customer complaint yet.

This is how we handle it too. Never any sickness correlated to egg consumption in our house, most any other country besides us does not refrigerate eggs we do it in America because the fda says they have to be washed which then they don't have their natural bloom and need refrigeration. I wash with a scrub brush and a little dishsoap right before use. then I save the shells to feed back to the hens after drying and crushing to provide calcium back to the layers.

I dont refrigerate my butter either a habit I inherited from My great grandma...I still use her butter bell that has to be over 120 years old at this time...never could stand margarine and have converted many people you using butter dishes and regular butter that stays on the counter so it is soft and ready. I do prefer fresh butter but also buy store butter when I have to...not once in my life has butter ever gone rancid...guess we use it fast enough that it is not an issue.

no I didnt....It is hard enough for me to buy enough farm fresh butter (or raw milk to churn my own) but I have been known to buy jared Ghee for indian cooking rather than clarify my own......one day I will have a place where I can have a cow of my own...or at least a milk goat or two. Can you churn butter from goat milk?

Then you've had canned butter! It's ghee (or gee, depending on the source of information) and it really didn't seem to complicated. I didn't know if you could make goat milk butter, so I googled it. Turns out you certainly can!

Edited to add: I apologize to the OP for hijacking the thread....I'll be good now, I promise.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom