Egg sales questions

Yes, many do the idea of the stand out the front with a box and honest system of pay, or you can have a sign out front to guide them to your front door. Council normally wants to see how the chickens are kept ect... before folks can do this but don't think many contact council before they do it and personally don't think folks should have to. The only issue I have with selling eggs out the front is someone could possibly try sue you by saying your eggs made them sick ect.. ect... but I'v never actually heard of that happening probably hard for them to prove too.

Another option and one I think is better is going around to your local cafes, herb/health food shops and restaurants, have a chat with the owners/staff, maybe more then once, when you feel comfy just ask em do they want eggs either to buy themselves from you or to have sitting in there shop. Organic free range eggs (actually free range not a few square meters that legally classify as free range) iv seen people by em for up to $12.00 a carton.

We are up to 4-5ish dozen eggs a week, more than we really need but not so much as i have the desire to find some sort of “regular customer “ thinking about an honor system stand out by the end of the driveway, does anyone else do this? What is the going rate? I was thinking of 1/2 dozens rather than whole.
any suggestions?
I’ve been thinking of doing this as well as even my 4 reliable layers produce more than my husband and I can eat and our coworkers can also only eat so many. I see people in my area offering 1 dozen duck eggs for $4 or $5 on Front Porch Forum. Some do exactly as you described and it works well! I feel that this is not an uncommon way to sell stuff in Vermont. I could pick up flowers, eggs, blueberries (when in season), and even pie on my way home from work without stepping foot in a store!

That is awesome your girls are great egg producers for you. :) Here in NC there is no shortage of duck or chicken eggs from what I have seen on Craigslist. I have seen a dozen of chicken eggs go for as little as a dollar a dozen up to $3.00. Then duck eggs start at $3.00 a Dozen and up to as much as $8.00.

We don't produce a lot of eggs and end up giving away far more then we actually sell. If people insist and want to give us something for them, we do get $2.00 for our Isa Brown eggs a dozen and $3.00 a dozen for our Rouen/Pekin mix duck eggs.

All in all everyone is happy with the eggs and the little extra money goes back into more feed to help keep the girls healthy and happy. :)

I’ve been thinking of doing this as well as even my 4 reliable layers produce more than my husband and I can eat and our coworkers can also only eat so many. I see people in my area offering 1 dozen duck eggs for $4 or $5 on Front Porch Forum. Some do exactly as you described and it works well! I feel that this is not an uncommon way to sell stuff in Vermont. I could pick up flowers, eggs, blueberries (when in season), and even pie on my way home from work without stepping foot in a store!
Yeah, our driveway is long and we have a game cam setup, i am not really worried about people stealing eggs or the cash box for that matter, with our production if someone made off witu a couple dozen eggs or 5-10-20 bucks... it probably wouldn’t kill me. I do worry about it inviting people creeping around to steal other stuff.

Yeah, our driveway is long and we have a game cam setup, i am not really worried about people stealing eggs or the cash box for that matter, with our production if someone made off witu a couple dozen eggs or 5-10-20 bucks... it probably wouldn’t kill me. I do worry about it inviting people creeping around to steal other stuff.
Two legged predator's are the worst! :barnie

Attachments

• 0B6315E6-9B17-4648-A3A5-D6D2271D7AFA.jpeg
    0B6315E6-9B17-4648-A3A5-D6D2271D7AFA.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom