Egg scale?

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
So I ordered some chicks from Meyer last week to arrive next month and I know it's going to be a while before they start laying but I'm wondering about egg scales?

I was going to order one from Meyer (actually 2, couldn't decide between the digital one and the cutesy one lol) but then I realized that $30 was probably a lot to pay and I could probably find it cheaper elsewhere. Also realized I don't need two. So yeah. Now I don't have one. I really would like one. I really like the cutesy one and that works fine for us but then I was also curious what it'd be like to have a really accurate digital one. So I don't know. If I can find them cheap enough, I could get both. I really probably only need and want the cute one though. Also egg basket? I know there was just a post on it but it made me think of it. I was worried wire would break them.

Last edited:
My cousin bought the first one you show for me. It seems to work perfectly! I checked store bought eggs of different sizes and several of my first eggs. Right on!

I don't have an egg scale but have a great, shabby old egg basket a neighbor passed on to me. I love the idea that it's old and seen a lot of eggs. It's metal so I lined it with burlap and it works just fine, I haven't had any trouble with broken eggs.

Unless you are selling your eggs as Sized,, (Graded is a whole other thing and has to do with age and quality of egg) you really don't need a scale unless it's just for your own curiosity. Which in that case the cutesy ones will work just fine for you.

Now back to selling Sized eggs. Most people don't know this, but sized eggs are actually measured by weight of the WHOLE dozen,, not each individual egg being a particular size. Now this usually works best if they are all the same size, however, you could mix say smalls and jumbos together with maybe a few mediums and come up with say a dozen Large or Medium eggs depending on your mix. Or throw in a small egg with 11 Jumbos if they are slightly over weight and still have a Jumbo dozen,, as long as the total weight of the dozen ends up in the range for that particular size,, that's what the size ends up being. However, you can sell your eggs as Unsized, and then you don't have to worry about all the rigamorole of sizing your eggs.

Unless you are selling your eggs as Sized,, (Graded is a whole other thing and has to do with age and quality of egg) you really don't need a scale unless it's just for your own curiosity. Which in that case the cutesy ones will work just fine for you.

Now back to selling Sized eggs. Most people don't know this, but sized eggs are actually measured by weight of the WHOLE dozen,, not each individual egg being a particular size. Now this usually works best if they are all the same size, however, you could mix say smalls and jumbos together with maybe a few mediums and come up with say a dozen Large or Medium eggs depending on your mix. Or throw in a small egg with 11 Jumbos if they are slightly over weight and still have a Jumbo dozen,, as long as the total weight of the dozen ends up in the range for that particular size,, that's what the size ends up being. However, you can sell your eggs as Unsized, and then you don't have to worry about all the rigamorole of sizing your eggs.

I didn't know that...another day, another new thing learned here at BYC!

Now back to selling Sized eggs.  Most people don't know this, but sized eggs are actually measured by weight of the WHOLE dozen,, not each individual egg being a particular size. Now this usually works best if they are all the same size, however, you could mix say smalls and jumbos together with maybe a few mediums and come up with say a dozen Large or Medium eggs depending on your mix.  Or throw in a small egg with 11 Jumbos if they are slightly over weight and still have a Jumbo dozen,, as long as the total weight of the dozen ends up in the range for that particular size,, that's what the size ends up being.   However, you can sell your eggs as Unsized, and then you don't have to worry about all the rigamorole of sizing your eggs.

Really? Wow, I never knew that. Thanks for the great info! Amd you're right, it's just for my pwn curiosity. :)

If I did sell them it'd just be like putting boxes at the end of the driveway haha

Oh and btw, I did end up going back and buying the egg scale. :) the cutesy one from Meyer and one book. Got an email last night or this morning (didn't check the date but I'm pretty sure this morning) that it shipped already. I was surprised,Amazon and a lot of places were like over $40

But yeah, it's mostly just curiosity. :) although I think I also just read somewhere recently that Jumbo is a pretty new concept, used to only be XL, and that most jumbos are actually on the large end of XL and in Jumbo there may be some smaller XLs in it or in XL a few bigger? But I suppose that's basically the same as what you said about weighing the whole box.

Back
Top Bottom