Egg setting and bator checks

erik520

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
mount airy
I have four eggs that i set yesterday,
I need to know if I'm being to critical.
i bought a store type styrofoam ones cheep only $49.00
the bator uses a standard type thermometer, I added a hygrometer and a digital thermometer from my Field Piece meter, and also a cpu fan from a old computer.
Okey so here's the thing the temp swings in the bator from 102.5 to 97.7*f.in the mater of 3 mins the basic cycle time of the heater. I averaged out the temps to be 99.45
I feel like that highs are to high should I turn it down some?

Oh also the tempature is being read at the top of the eggs.

99.45 is perfect for a forced air incubator.
It can fluctuate from 99-100 and all will be well.
If it keeps constant like that you will have a good hatch. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Ok but. that's the average temp"99.46". I'm talken about the temp spikes when the heater comes on. the state extension service says not to exceed 1 * above 100. also to remember that the meter I'm using to gather this info works by the .003 of a degree in one sec.

hints why i'm trying not to go nuts about this.
wink.png

Or should I just average?
smile.png

Oh. lol I'm slow.
I think that is too big of a fluctuation. Here are some things you can do to help stop the fluctuations:

-a folded towel under the incubator
-a blanket halfway around the incubator (not blocking vent holes)

That is what I do with mine and it holds constant.
Also, you have a computer fan in there, is it located under one of the ventalation holes?(the vents that have red plugs)
If it is, plug the vent that has the fan under it.

That is a common problem when you dont' have the incubator full. If you would place several small jars of warm water to act as a heat sink it will help regulate the temp swings. In the HovaBator or LG that is designed to hold 40+ eggs, the thermostat cycles often and without a stabilizing mass inside it can go to high before turning off again. Some people use clean rock or baby food jars with marbles. Anything that will hold the heat will help.

thank you very much. i've only got 6 eggs in there now and i put 3 mason jars in when i first started guess i need more. i'll let you know if it stablised

ok im going to freak the temp in side befor i opened the hova bator was 102 and very humid 73% its the 3rd day now did i kill them?

I added 3 large bags"ziplock" of warm water.rechecking temp after turning it down 5 noches

still having temp swings the only thing the bags have done is lenghen the time between cycles. so i call the hova bator manufacture thay say that the disk could be bad. it should only be 1* temp diff. back to the store i guess.

Back
Top Bottom