Egg shaped chicken coop-cute but made of cedar & no nesting boxes!

cedar is fine as the building material, but not good (toxic) if used as shavings.

interesting design but you are right no nest boxes and it is very small I would not house more than 2 birds in it. Also the ventilation leaves something to be desired.....

Last edited:
Cedar is fine as wood/building materials. Not as shavings.

Aside from that, it's not a very practical coop design, but... I've seen worse. I wouldn't use it.

My coop, nesting house, and bachelor pad are all buildings made out of cedar. Very tough, hardy, long-lasting wood and don't affect chickens if not in shaving form.
smile.png

This was discussed in a previous thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=404224&p=1

It's aromatic cedar (the kind used for cedar closets) that could pose a problem for chickens' respiratory health. The makers of this coop tout its nice cedar smell, so I wonder just what kind of wood it is that they're using. It does not appear from the design that they are very familiar with the needs and requirements of chickens or chicken keeping.

The coop is very pretty to look at, though.

Quote:
Thanks @elmo - I now see the previous thread and I see that the creator commented as well. It was really hard to see from the original article I read that you could clean it or if it had boxes, though I wonder about the heat build up with the clear top. Interesting concept anyway. It is super cute though from what I've seen on BYC, who can stop at 2 chickens?
smile.png

Quote:
I would hesitate to house two chickens in something that small, even only as a place for roosting at night. The roosting space looks inadequate for two chickens, and the roost looks like a round dowel, inappropriate for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom