Egg shell recycling?

whytedragon

Songster
10 Years
Sep 27, 2009
Floresville, Texas
I figured this should be under egg laying since it has to do with that, but feel free to move it if need be.

I just recently got my laying hens, 3 are a year old, and 2 I am not sure.

Anyway, I was given some oyster shells to grind up, but I'm running out. I'm not sure where to get them now.

I've been using ground up egg shells for my girls, is this acceptable for calcium, or do they really need the oyster shells?

I bought a bag once and they sell them in huge bags!
ep.gif
It lasted forever and then I never bought another.

Mine free range, so they get green leafy things for calcium and their laying mash has added calcium, so I don't bother anymore. Their shells are very thick.

I recycle shells because it's a shame to throw them away. I just save them, put them in a walmart bag and crush them fine, sprinkle them back into their feed.

Oh wow, and here I am thinking I'm doing something horribly wrong with my hens, lol.
That's one of the things I love about this forum, no one throws you on the chopping block when you're not doing something "the right way"..as other forums would be. lol.

I've been saving all of the egg shells and sprinkle them out daily for my hens. I will definitely ask at the feed store though for some oyster shells...do they usually come ground, or do I need to grind them? (that's quite a chore)

Back
Top Bottom