Egg shells in the garden.

chickinlittles

Songster
7 Years
Jul 13, 2014
I like to use egg shells in my gardens for extra calcium but did you know you can use them to start your seeds in? It’s a great trick as you plant the whole thing, shell and all . It provides calcium for your plants through-out the growing season. Especially good for tomatoes! You have to break the shell up a bit when planting but I t’s easy. The plants will out grow the shells pretty quickly so if your garden is not quite ready , you can plop them into a larger pot if necessary. Kids love this activity! Any questions? Don’t hesitate to ask. Always happy to share gardening experiences .

E3181913-0973-4CDF-AD3D-E4EA32FF7F49.jpeg
FD48874F-EC52-4087-885C-457F83A7E774.jpeg
7095504D-88B0-4FCD-BC97-FDD4F5BFDB5C.jpeg
529415CB-2FDC-4894-9727-C29D26BC9E1B.jpeg
A9522C9F-49A5-481F-8888-253726A917E1.jpeg
B484D22C-A237-4FE2-8D5A-19497C0CF0D0.jpeg
73FAC3DC-B7BD-4724-81C2-5B5207371679.jpeg
DEB04205-8B2D-4156-B75F-6A87D24EC5AD.jpeg
BCF684C0-F72C-45F3-A77B-7ED0DB22853D.jpeg
A9AB9BDF-3286-4E31-A615-8A583AD42CB3.jpeg
30D0D5F1-1DFE-41A3-9681-02ED8A1F94E9.jpeg
C022CA07-F403-4F13-9937-381C2D8CBBB4.jpeg
25A059C1-DF61-420C-9718-1E2F15290012.jpeg
99974B9E-D117-4E11-ABC5-8FFDFFC4D95C.jpeg

Attachments

• 83E83CB8-ABD0-447C-B49B-0FEF79031DE7.jpeg
    83E83CB8-ABD0-447C-B49B-0FEF79031DE7.jpeg
    781.6 KB · Views: 4
It makes a pretty picture, for sure. However, I can’t imagine using this for certain plants like tomatoes. You don’t say where you are located (easy to add to your profile). I’m in zone 6A, so I start tomato seeds in March. A few weeks later I transplant to larger containers to continue their growth before I can plant in garden mid to late May. Last year, it was nearly June before the garden planting began due to a late heavy frost. So, the shells will inhibit lower root growth on a more vigorous plant like a tomato. And FWIW, we have a compost pile, where we add our egg shells, broken and crushed, but some are half shells and even after a year, those shells are not that broken down (surprisingly) even after turning the pile several times a seasonmaybe this is better suited for warmer climates with a longer growing season.

the egg shells are a bonus in the garden, as many plants need calcium for proper fruit formation. So, saving and adding shells to the dirt is great.

It makes a pretty picture, for sure. However, I can’t imagine using this for certain plants like tomatoes. You don’t say where you are located (easy to add to your profile). I’m in zone 6A, so I start tomato seeds in March. A few weeks later I transplant to larger containers to continue their growth before I can plant in garden mid to late May. Last year, it was nearly June before the garden planting began due to a late heavy frost. So, the shells will inhibit lower root growth on a more vigorous plant like a tomato. And FWIW, we have a compost pile, where we add our egg shells, broken and crushed, but some are half shells and even after a year, those shells are not that broken down (surprisingly) even after turning the pile several times a seasonmaybe this is better suited for warmer climates with a longer growing season.

the egg shells are a bonus in the garden, as many plants need calcium for proper fruit formation. So, saving and adding shells to the dirt is great.
I am in zone 9 b and have to wait until June to transplant into the garden as well. I’ll be planting this batch into my greenhouse raised beds this week. Tomatoes do great. After a week or two when the roots begin to come out the bottom of the shell You just break the bottom of the shell up by crushing gently and removing of a few bits of shell around the base then plant the egg into your larger container. Then you will transplant that container into the garden. It does not inhibit root growth. I it the crushed bits into the pot I’m transplanting into. Hope that clarifies things a bit better.

I like to use egg shells in my gardens for extra calcium but did you know you can use them to start your seeds in? It’s a great trick as you plant the whole thing, shell and all . It provides calcium for your plants through-out the growing season. Especially good for tomatoes! You have to break the shell up a bit when planting but I t’s easy. The plants will out grow the shells pretty quickly so if your garden is not quite ready , you can plop them into a larger pot if necessary. Kids love this activity! Any questions? Don’t hesitate to ask. Always happy to share gardening experiences .

View attachment 2617049View attachment 2617050View attachment 2617051View attachment 2617052View attachment 2617055View attachment 2617070View attachment 2617071View attachment 2617073View attachment 2617074View attachment 2617076View attachment 2617077View attachment 2617079View attachment 2617081View attachment 2617082
That’s great..but, be aware, latest studies show shells don’t break down to a usable form fast enough. Unless treated with an acid, they are designed to protect liquid precious contents, they aren’t going to dissolve into soil. Better off with bone meal, or a commercial organic calcium, magnesium and phosphorous solution..

That’s great..but, be aware, latest studies show shells don’t break down to a usable form fast enough. Unless treated with an acid, they are designed to protect liquid precious contents, they aren’t going to dissolve into soil. Better off with bone meal, or a commercial organic calcium, magnesium and phosphorous solution..
I understand what you are saying as far as the decomposition of the egg shells, it takes a long time to decompose but remains in the soil for a long time too. I did all my starts in eggshell this year and have very hearty plants, many or which made a 60 mile move to our new place, I gave away several and my friends all said they are super healthy plants. Because they are designed to hold in moisture they are natures perfect containers. At planting time, I still amend the soil in the planting holes with oyster shells or azomite or whatever else i am using that particular year for nutrients but they seem to get a very good start in the shells. I do crush and peel way some shell when potting them up but keep the shell pieces in the soil. The benefits remain in the soil and continue to breakdown long after the initial crops are gone and the next starts for the succession crops are planted in the space. It is not meant to be a quick release but rather a long term soil health practice. Hope that makes sense.

I understand what you are saying as far as the decomposition of the egg shells, it takes a long time to decompose but remains in the soil for a long time too. I did all my starts in eggshell this year and have very hearty plants, many or which made a 60 mile move to our new place, I gave away several and my friends all said they are super healthy plants. Because they are designed to hold in moisture they are natures perfect containers. At planting time, I still amend the soil in the planting holes with oyster shells or azomite or whatever else i am using that particular year for nutrients but they seem to get a very good start in the shells. I do crush and peel way some shell when potting them up but keep the shell pieces in the soil. The benefits remain in the soil and continue to breakdown long after the initial crops are gone and the next starts for the succession crops are planted in the space. It is not meant to be a quick release but rather a long term soil health practice. Hope that makes sense.
Sure..but think logically..the egg is protecting liquid contents..it’s designed to resist dissolution. Even ground, it’s simply chemically not in a form that decomposes unless exposed to acids. There’s no harm, but, I’ve seen experiments where they dig them up three or four years later and there’s no visible decomposition. I’d just rather ppl not spend their time thinking it’s benefitting a lot..there are better products that are organic for calcium. I’ve gardened over fifty years, plenty of experience talking here too. I’ve got a couple giant pumpkins set this year I’m excited about! Although, the pros work the whole lattice of vines into the soil to root and transport all that water, I’ve only buried a couple spots..(these are posted upside down..I don’t know why…)

Attachments

• 2DC7B15C-3831-4CE0-8B66-BEC0E42CEF65.jpeg
    2DC7B15C-3831-4CE0-8B66-BEC0E42CEF65.jpeg
    411.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 8BEFF1D3-2621-4DC2-9D10-A1C67DB25729.jpeg
    8BEFF1D3-2621-4DC2-9D10-A1C67DB25729.jpeg
    570.9 KB · Views: 1
Sure..but think logically..the egg is protecting liquid contents..it’s designed to resist dissolution. Even ground, it’s simply chemically not in a form that decomposes unless exposed to acids. There’s no harm, but, I’ve seen experiments where they dig them up three or four years later and there’s no visible decomposition. I’d just rather ppl not spend their time thinking it’s benefitting a lot..there are better products that are organic for calcium. I’ve gardened over fifty years, plenty of experience talking here too. I’ve got a couple giant pumpkins set this year I’m excited about! Although, the pros work the whole lattice of vines into the soil to root and transport all that water, I’ve only buried a couple spots..(these are posted upside down..I don’t know why…)
Well I am not going to argue this point with you, everyone has an opinion and frankly mine isnt any less “logical” then yours. I too have just as many decades of gardening experience under my belt and have, up until recrntly managed a 2.5 acre organic farm on my own with tremendous yields of all kinds of fruits and vegetables as well as native habitat restoration projects to boot. Gardening is about experimentation and sharing those experiences. The time spent with a child growing food out if egg shell is not time wasted. There are many good reasons to garden and just as many ways to do it. Good luck with your pumpkins.

Well I am not going to argue this point with you, everyone has an opinion and frankly mine isnt any less “logical” then yours. I too have just as many decades of gardening experience under my belt and have, up until recrntly managed a 2.5 acre organic farm on my own with tremendous yields of all kinds of fruits and vegetables as well as native habitat restoration projects to boot. Gardening is about experimentation and sharing those experiences. The time spent with a child growing food out if egg shell is not time wasted. There are many good reasons to garden and just as many ways to do it. Good luck with your pumpkins.
I never implied spending time with children was a waste of time, just thinking that you are supplying a significant amount of calcium to plants by burying eggshells. Starting seeds in them is a fine idea..good luck to you too, enjoy the rest of the season!

Back
Top Bottom