Egg shells

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jennie5193, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    I have a question about feeding egg shells (ground up) back to the chickens. Is that just *wrong* or will it be beneficial for them?

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    Beneficial. Extra calcium. I do it all the time![​IMG]

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I do it too. It is good for them. Just make sure it doesn't resemble an egg when you feed it back to them.

4. Jennie5193

Jennie5193 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    South East TN
    Thank you! It just seemed to me that since I feed them special nutrients so they can make those shells, that maybe I could recycle them.

Would you bake them or boil them first to kill any germs, or just straight from being cracked?

5. laurenlulu

laurenlulu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I gave my hens the crushed up shells from the eggs they laid me yesterday- they were SO excited! They gobbled them up

I have a question also- can egg shells replace oyster whatevers? It seems very economical to just feed them back their shells.

6. Chauntecleer's Keeper

Chauntecleer's Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    West Little Rock, AR
    Ground oyster shells or egg shells are a great source of calcium. My chicken feed has calcium built in, so I do not have to suppliment it. If the chickens do not get the calcium they need, their bodies will start consuming their own bones for the egg shells. You will get chickens with weak bones and thin egg shells.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I usually just put them on a cookie sheet in the oven for about 20 minutes at around 200 degrees. Kills whatever germs, but really, it's just easier to crush them up small when they are really dry like that.

8. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I just dry them on the counter for a few days, then crush them and feed them back.

Cheri

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would crush and microwave the shells, or put the whole eggs in the food processor or whatever (with shells) then scramble.

However you do it, you don't want to feed raw egg -- might give them ideas.

10. ChickenNoodle

ChickenNoodle Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    We let them dry in an egg carton, grind them up in the blender and keep in a lidded container. I add add a handfull to their scraps. You'll know if you're feeding too much because their eggshells will get alot thicker and be difficult to crack. When that happens, I back off on the eggshells. Has worked well for us so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by