Egg Shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shy, Sep 5, 2008.

1. shy

shy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    Just wondering if you think this would be okay to do. Instead of buying oyster shells, can you just grind up the eggshells from boiled eggs? The shells are made of calcium, aren't they?

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Yes! That works great. Some of us microwave ours and some use the oven. Then I pulverize mine in the blender. As long as they no longer look like an egg its fine. I save all of my egg shells. I just keep a bag in the frezzer and my family knows thats where the shells go until I have enough to grind up.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Absolutely, people do it all the time, me included.

I have wondered though (and hope someone more knowledgeable will answer) if they get the same amount of calcium of they only had egg shells and no oyster shells available? Right now, I add the baked egg shells to the oyster shells.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is fine to give them back the shells but you still need to offer some oyster shell because they don't get as much calcium back in the eggs shells as they do from the oyster shell.

I just baked off 2 full cookie sheets of shells to give my gils this evening.

5. charmed one

charmed one Show Me State Gal

How long do you leave the shells in the oven at what temp? I never thought about doing that. I learn something new every day here!![​IMG]

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I "nuke" (microwave) mine for 20 seconds, then throw them in a gallon ziploc bag (top left open). When the bag's full, I zip it closed and roller-pin it.

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I bake mine in the oven at 350 for ten minutes. Let them cool, then mash them into little pieces with the bottom of a glass glass or use a rolling pin.

8. setter4

setter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Central Pennsylvania
    It's a big decision here whether to give the egg shells to the dogs, the chickens or the African violets. lol

9. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I save mine in the freezer and put them in the micowave for 45 seconds. Although I have never crushed mine up but slightly. The girls love them!

10. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Egg shells are fine, but they probably will need some other source of calcium, too. The eggshells can only contain so much calcium, and some of it will be lost in transfer, so soon there won't be enough...just a thought

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by