1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Size by Weight?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by schmije, Sep 1, 2008.

1. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    Is there a way to 'size' an egg by its weight? My eight little girls began laying at the beginning of July, and I'd like to get an idea of how their eggs would be classified at the grocery store for when I sell them. I looked for an egg scale at the farm supply store, but was unable to find one. I have a food scale that measures ounces and grams, so I know that most of my girls lay 45-50 gram eggs, but I don't know how to translate that to a size. What is the standard weight range for medium, large, etc.?

2. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Yes, there absolutely is. Several different websites list the weights as follows:
    Jumbo 30 oz
    Xlarge 27 oz
    Large 24 oz.
    Medium 21 oz
    Small 18 oz
    Peewee 15 oz
    These are weights per dozen, but you can divide by 12 if you want to determine an individual egg size. We sell quite a few eggs and use these guidelines. Hope this helps.

3. schmije

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Great question [​IMG] This is one to print and put in my chicken info folder [​IMG]

5. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I found this:

Jumbo
    Carton weight: 30oz.
    Egg weight: 2.5oz.

Extra large
    Carton weight: 27oz.
    Egg weight: 2.25oz.

Large
    Carton weight: 24oz.
    Egg weight: 2oz.

Medium
    Carton weight: 21oz.
    Egg weight: 1.75oz.

Small
    Carton weight: 18oz.
    Egg weight: 1.5oz.

Peewee
    Carton weight: 15oz.
    Egg weight: 1.25oz.

6. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Most timely information. My chicks started laying 4 wks ago but not all of them. Today my DH called me at work to tell me we had a verrry large and a verrry small egg. ( Most of ours were weighing 1.6 oz. ) Today one weighed 2.6 oz and the little bitty egg was 1 oz.

7. schmije

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    So it looks like my little girls are on the borderline between Small and Medium. I've been keeping anything 45 g (1.5 oz) and smaller and selling anything 50 g (1.75 oz) and larger. One of our two big girls lays Jumbo, and the other is Extra Large. The big girl eggs still look HUGE next to the little girls eggs, but the little ones are getting bigger every day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by